1. In 2019, which country did the Ireland women’s hockey team beat in a penalty shootout to qualify for the Olympics?
2. Which year did Cork win their first All-Ireland hurling title in red jerseys – 1909, 1919 or 1929?
3. Which Arsenal player scored the injury-time winner in the 1989 English league title decider against Liverpool?
4. Scottish golfer Paul Lawrie won the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie – name either of the players he beat in a play-off.
5. Which South African driver won the 1979 Formula 1 World Drivers’ Championship?
6. Who won the 2009 All-Ireland camogie title?
7. The horse that won the 1959 Aintree Grand National shares its name with a stock cube, what is it?
8. The same two players met in the 1988, 1989 and 1990 Wimbledon men’s tennis singles finals. Stefan Edberg won in 1988 and 1990 – who did he lose to in 1989?
9. Apart from Cork, which county failed to win a game in the All-Ireland football Super 8s in 2019?
10. Who won the 1999 Cricket World Cup?
11. AC Milan have won seven European Cups/Champions Leagues but what was unique about the 1969 victory against Ajax?
12. Which horse won the Cheltenham Gold Cup and King George VI Chase in 1989 before going on to win the 1990 Irish Grand National?
13. Who managed Kerry to victory in the 2009 All-Ireland football final?
14. Which former Australia out-half joined the Munster coaching staff in the summer of 2019?
15. Who did Manchester United beat in the 1999 FA Cup final?
16. Which boxer came out of retirement to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in 2009?
17. Who did Tipperary beat in the 1989 All-Ireland hurling final?
18. At which venue did Ireland inflict England’s first home defeat in a senior football international in 1949 – Goodison Park, Maine Road or Old Trafford?
19. In which French city did Ireland lose to Argentina in the 1999 Rugby World Cup?
20. When was Tiger Woods’ last Masters win before 2019?
21. For which team was Jenson Button driving when he won the 2009 Formula 1 World Drivers’ Championship?
22. Which snooker player won his last world championship in 1999?
23. Who beat Cork City in the 1989 FAI Cup final after a replay?
24. Which football magazine first appeared in 1969?
25. Who beat the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII in 2009 to set a new record of six titles?
26. In 1979, which county ended Cork’s hopes of winning a fourth straight All-Ireland hurling title?
27. Which English golfer came second to Shane Lowry at the 2019 Open Championship at Royal Portrush?
28. Which was the only team that Ireland beat in the 1989 Five Nations Championship?
29. In 2009, which horse became the first to regain the Cheltenham Gold Cup, having won it 2007 and then finished second in 2008?
30. What happened in the 1959 All-Ireland hurling final and wouldn’t happen again until 2012?
31. Which Welshman beat Dennis Taylor to win the 1979 World Snooker Championship?
32. Who was Cork City’s interim manager after John Caulfield left the club in May of 2019?
33. In 1969, who became the first British golfer since 1951 to win the Open Championship?
34. Who won the Cork senior hurling title in 1999 to bridge a 14-year gap?
35. Who captained Ireland to win the 2009 Six Nations Championship?
36. Which Kerry player scored 2-6 in the 1979 All-Ireland senior football final win over Dublin?
37. Who won a second consecutive Irish Flat Racing Champion Jockey title in 2019 before announcing his intention to retire and take up training?
38. Who pipped Ayrton Senna to win the 1989 Formula 1 World Drivers’ Championship?
39. Who was appointed Cork hurling manager in 2009?
40. Before Liverpool in 2019. which was the last club to win the Champions League the year after losing the final?
1. Canada, 2. 1919, 3. Michael Thomas, 4. Jean van de Velde and Justin Leonard, 5. Jody Scheckter, 6. Cork, beating Kilkenny by 0-15 to 0-7, 7. Oxo, 8. Boris Becker, 9. Meath, 10. Australia, 11. It’s the only one of their seven winning finals where they wore their home kit – they were in a change strip of all-white for the other six, 12. Desert Orchid, 13. Jack O’Connor, 14. Stephen Larkham, 15. Newcastle United, 16. Floyd Mayweather, 17. Antrim, 18. Goodison Park, 19. Lens, 20. 2005, 21. Brawn GP, 22. Stephen Hendry, 23. Derry City, 24. Shoot!, 25. Pittsburgh Steelers, 26. Galway, 27. Tommy Fleetwood, 28. Wales, 29. Kauto Star, 30. The game finished in a draw – Waterford beat Kilkenny in the replay, 31. Terry Griffiths, 32. John Cotter, 33. Tony Jacklin, 34. Blackrock, 35. Brian O’Driscoll, 36. Mikey Sheehy, 37. Donnacha O’Brien, 38. Alain Prost, 39. Denis Walsh, 40. Bayern Munich in 2013