Three early goals are enough for Kanturk in a thriller against Newcestown

Three early goals are enough for Kanturk in a thriller against Newcestown
Kanturk's Brian O'Sullivan looking to get past Newcestown's Tadhg Twomey during the Co-Op Stores Cork SAHC at Coachford. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Kanturk 3-13 Newcestown 1-17
KANTURK went top of Group A of the Co-op Superstores Cork SAHC with a thrilling victory over a gallant Newcestown in a game played in ideal conditions on an immaculate Coachford sod this afternoon.

The foundation for their victory was laid in a devastating 10-minute spell in the first-half when they blitzed their west Cork rivals for three goals. Cork U20 graduate Ryan Walsh fired home two of the goals while corner-forward Liam O’Keeffe helped himself to the other.

Ex-Cork star Lorcán McLoughlin slotted over three frees in the opening period too, while impressive minor Alan Walsh also found the target. Newcestown relied a bit too much on their ace marksman, Cian Healy. Four frees from Healy and a point each from Fionn Keane and Tadhg Twomey left the Carbery side trailing by 3-4 to 0-6 as the first-half edged into injury-time.

Cathrach Keane then crashed a dropping free from Healy to the net to leave just four points between the sides at the break.

Newcestown's Cian Healy shoots from Kanturk's Liam Cashman. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
Newcestown's Cian Healy shoots from Kanturk's Liam Cashman. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Kanturk seemed to have weathered the storm on the resumption as they outscored their west Cork rivals by 0-7 to 0-5 in the third quarter. The excellent McLoughlin had four frees in this period, Brian O’Sullivan, Darren Browne and Ronan Walsh also found the target while Healy tapped over four more frees for Newcestown to leave his side trailing by 3-11 to 1-11.

Newcestown then took control, firing over five points without reply. Healy registered four of those while Fionn Keane had the other and suddenly, there was only one between them with five to go.

Kanturk needed a score badly, and Lorcán McLoughlin showed nerves of steel to edge his side further ahead with a long-range free. His former Cork colleague, Anthony Nash, then followed suit with another boomer as the game entered injury time.

Newcestown needed a goal, but all they could muster was a point from Daniel Twomey in the dying stages.

They’ll need to beat Cloyne in their final game to progress, while Kanturk will also need to beat Killeagh to be sure of their place in the knockout stages.

Scorers for Kanturk: L McLoughlin 0-8 f, R Walsh 2-1, L O’Keeffe 1-0, Alan Walsh, D Browne, B O’Sullivan and A Nash (f) 0-1 each.

Scorers for Newcestown: C Healy 0-12 (0-10 f), C Keane 1-0, F Keane 0-2, T Twomey, C Dineen, and D Twomey (f) 0-1 each.

KANTURK: A Nash; J McLoughlin, L Cashman, A Sheehy; J Browne, D Browne, P Walsh; L McLoughlin (c), B O’Sullivan; J Fitzpatrick, L O’Neill, R Walsh; L O’Keeffe, Aidan Walsh, Alan Walsh. 

Subs: C Mullane for Sheehy (blood, 7-12), C Mullane for J McLoughlin (inj, 36), D O’Donoghue for O’Keeffe (52), M Healy for D Browne (inj, 59).

NEWCESTOWN: C Wilson; N Murray, M McSweeney (Capt), M Courtney; C Dineen, C O’Neill, G O’Donovan; T Twomey, J Meade; D Buckley, L Meade, F Keane; O Walsh, C Keane, C Healy. 

Subs: D Twomey for Walsh (27), E Kenneally for Buckley (46), S O’Sullivan for J Meade (56).

Referee: Brian Sweeney (Erin’s Own).

More in this section

Sponsored Content