Kilshanning make an instant impact as they step up from Cork junior ranks

Kilshanning make an instant impact as they step up from Cork junior ranks
Kilshannig and Cork footballer Killian O'Hanlon was on the goal trail in the IFC on Friday night. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Kilshannig 2-18 Glanmire 0-14

LAST year’s junior champions Kilshannig made an impressive step up to the IFC grade as they had 10 points to spare on Glanmire in Blarney on Friday night.

Never trailing at any stage, Kilshannig got five of the first six points and, though their lead was cut to two, they responded with an unanswered 1-4 – the goal from Jack Twomey – to push nine points ahead. Reeled in slightly as they retired with a six-point half-time lead, the Glantane outfit had a second goal from Cork senior star Killian O’Hanlon on the resumption and their superiority was never in question thereafter.

The victors had eight different scorers and their central axis of O’Hanlon, his brother Éanna and Twomey was the source of much of their power while Eoghan Burke led a strong defensive effort.

A tally of 14 wides wasn’t costly on the night but will be something to work on – and hopefully, for them, not an issue if scoring difference is required in a group also involving Aghabullogue and Kildorrery.

They can be more than happy with their night’s work, though. Kieran Twomey and Conor McMahon shone as they asserted their dominance on the scoreboard early on and, while points from Glanmire stalwarts James Murphy and Daniel Molden looked to have eased them into the game, Kilshannig found another gear.

They did need Éanna O’Hanlon to stop a ball on his goal-line at 0-8 to 0-3 but immediately after that they found the net as Kieran Twomey and Conor McMahon combined for a fine Jack Twomey finished.

Killian O’Hanlon extended the lead and they might have had more goals before the break but Jack Kearney was denied by Glanmire goalkeeper Oisín Barry and Darragh O’Sullivan palmed wide. At the other end, points from Murphy, Shane O’Driscoll and William Jones made things for manageable for Glanmire, who trailed by 1-9 to 0-6 at the break.

A Molden free but the deficit to five on the restart but Kilshannig replied through Barry O’Shea and then Killian O’Hanlon rifled a shot to the net after linking with his brother. They moved 2-12 to 0-7 clear thanks to O’Sullivan and Jack Twomey and, by the time of the second-half water break, the lead stood at 2-15 to 0-8.

It was 2-18 to 0-9 with seven minutes left, but Glanmire did their bit to address the scoring-difference as they had the game’s final five points with Tommy Lonergan and David McCarthy unlucky to see their shots go over, rather than under, the bar.

Scorers for Kilshannig: É O’Hanlon (0-2f), D O’Sullivan 0-4 each, K O’Hanlon, J Twomey 1-1 each, C McMahon 0-3, B O’Shea, K Twomey (0-1f) 0-2 each, J Kearney 0-1.

Scorers for Glanmire: D Molden (0-4f), J Murphy 0-4 each, S O’Driscoll 0-2, W Jones, T Lonergan, D McCarthy, C Shine 0-1 each.

KILSHANNIG: G Creedon; C Casey, E Burke, S Murphy; C Murphy, B Guerin, S O’Shea; K O’Hanlon, É O’Hanlon; J Kearney, J Twomey, B O’Shea; D O’Sullivan, K Twomey, C McMahon.

GLANMIRE: O Barry; D Lonergan, A Garvey, C Kelly; C O’Donovan, S Crowe, B Murphy; T Leahy, C Shine; W Jones, C Crowley, T Lonergan; J Murphy, D Molden, S O’Driscoll.

Subs: D O’Brien for Jones (43), D McCarthy for O’Driscoll (49), K Kenneally for Lonergan (59, injured).

Referee: T Lyons (Douglas)

More in this section

Sponsored Content