Harnedy hits 15 points for St Ita's who survive late scare in Killeagh thriller

Harnedy hits 15 points for St Ita's who survive late scare in Killeagh thriller
St Ita's Seamus Harnedy races past Russell Rovers' Kieran Walsh, last season. Picture: David Keane.

St Ita’s 1-21 Killeagh 4-12 

THE MAJESTIC Seamus Harnedy was the key figure as St Ita's set up an East Cork Oil JAHC semi-final against Lisgoold following a draw with their fiercest rivals.

The Cork ace hit 0-15, seven points from play, to secure the result that got the Gortroe outfit through the group stage. It was a clean game but there were two red cards and the joust ended on a knife-edge after 69 entertaining minutes.

Ita's had been in control but three goals by Killeagh in the closing stages from Daniel Landers (2) and Ger Collins nearly cost the favourites. They'll need to be tighter at the back against Lisgoold, while it's Cobh versus Carraig na bhFear, the 2019 runners-up, in the other semi-final.

Both sides exchanged early points then Landers got the first of his three goals to give Killeagh the early advantage.

The sides were level five times, including in the seventh minute following three Harnedy points.

Then Killeagh went on a bit of a run with six points to just a single reply from Ita’s thanks to some fine scores from Aaron Walsh and Landers.

The last eight minutes of the first half belonged to Ita’s pitting, seven scores without reply for a three-point half-time advantage.

On the resumption, Ita’s started where they finished the first half with Harnedy and Ciaran O’Brien punishing the Killeagh mistakes before the Pilmore men lost Cathal Dean for a second yellow card offence.

Then out of the blue another Killeagh goal as Landers had too much strength and buried the ball into the Ita’s net: game on!

It took exactly 35 seconds for Ita’s to re-store parity with a stretching Padraigh O’Brien effort to the net and from the puck-out Killeagh lost Andrew Walsh with a straight red card.

Ita’s, coached by Padraig Gould this summer, led by seven points before a Darragh Motherway point, two goals from Landers and one from Ger Collins levelled this cracker.

Harnedy was on target again in reply for Ita’s but deep into added time Padraig Leahy tied it up.

Scorers for St. Ita’s: S Harnedy 0-15 (0-8 f), P O’Brien 1-1 f, D Hickey, C O’Brien 0-2 each, C Deane 0-1.

Killeagh: D Landers 3-3 f, G Collins 1-0, J Landers, Aaron Walsh, P Leahy 0-2 each, D Motherway, Andrew Walsh 0-1 each.

ST ITA’S: D Meade; F Foley, B McCarthy, M Cunningham; B O’Neill, D O’Brien, M Colman; C O’Brien, K Lee; D O’Rourke, M Lillis, C Deane; K Swayne S Harnedy, D Hickey.

KILLEAGH: D Cusack; T O’Connor, A Morrison (c), R Landers; R Long, B O’Brien, E Fitzgibbon; J Landers, P Leahy; G Collins, D Motherway, Andrew Walsh; Aaron Walsh, D Landers, R Sinclair.

Referee: Niall O’Neill (Midleton).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more