Second Cork club football game is postponed due to Covid-19

Second Cork club football game is postponed due to Covid-19

Picture: INPHO/James Crombie

A SECOND Cork club football clash has been postponed because of Covid-19.

Sunday afternoon's St Finbarr's and Newcestown Premier Senior Football Championship quarter-final had been provisionally put back to Tuesday night at 7.30pm.

The Newcestown club is currently awaiting results from Covid tests.

Ballincollig's clash with Nemo Rangers this Sunday was already postponed due to a case of Covid-19 in the club. It has yet to be revealed when that refixed tie will take place.

The club as a whole is now cleared to resume training and matches after a player tested positive for Covid earlier this week. Ballincollig shut down all activity on Wednesday morning for 48 hours as a precaution after news of the positive case broke.

Having put all training and games on hold, the underage section returned on Friday, but HSE regulations impacted on the senior squad this weekend.

Anyone in the club who was deemed a close contact of the positive case must restrict their movements until September 26, per HSE guidelines, even after receiving negative tests themselves for Covid-19.

That left Ballincollig without a number of players for the clash with the county champions.

Last Sunday, the Cork County Board postponed the SAHC relegation play-off between Killeagh and Bride Rovers because of a positive Covid case. That game has since been rescheduled for the end of September.

Anyone who goes for a Covid test but hasn't been deemed a close contact of a positive case can return to GAA once 48 hours have elapsed after their negative result.

The winners of Ballincollig and Nemo are currently due to face either Duhallow or Valley Rovers in the PSFC semi-final on September 26. Castlehaven take on Newcestown or St Finbarr's on the other side of the draw.

 

The club explained on Wednesday: "As a precautionary measure all activity in Ballincollig Hurling and Football Club has been temporarily suspended from this morning, September 16.

"This is due to a club member testing positive for Covid-19. We will update club members of any developments in the next 24 hours.

"Please keep following public health guidance at all times and please respect the confidentiality of all involved.

"Thank you and stay safe."

Previously, Inniscarra's senior camogie quarter-final against Glen Rovers was also put back a week, due to a player awaiting test results which later turned out to be negative.

More in this section

Sponsored Content