St Finbarr's goals see off Killeagh in Cork camogie quarter-finals

St Finbarr's goals see off Killeagh in Cork camogie quarter-finals

Meabh Cahalane, St Finbarr's, challenges Chloe Sigerson, Killeagh. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

St Finbarrs 3-7 Killeagh 0-7 

ST Finbarr’s were full value for their three-goal victory over Killeagh in this SE Systems Senior Championship quarter-final clash in Castle Road. 

They led from sixth minute after Keeva McCarthy blasted to the net from close range after winning a long delivery on the edge of the square. Their overall work-rate was superb as they kept the foot firmly on the pedal and never allowed Killeagh to gain a grip on proceedings.

Killeagh were forced to line out without their inter-county star Laura Treacy who picked up a broken hand in their earlier round clash with Ballygarvan and her presence was missed.

 Gemma O'Connor, St Finbarr's, clears her lines against Killeagh. Picture: Jim Coughlan.
Gemma O'Connor, St Finbarr's, clears her lines against Killeagh. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

With Gemma O’Connor solid at centre-back and Aisling Egan doing a good job in the full-back berth, St Finbarr’s closed down the Killeagh attack. Maebh Cahalane and Aoife O’Neill were also impressing for the Barrs.

Hannah Looney had the games opening score with Keeva McCarthy replying through a free, Emma Olden and Rachel Sheehan exchanged points but with the wind in their favour the Barrs kept the pressure on. 

With four minutes to the break, Orlaith Cahalane laid off a superb pass to the unmarked Ciara Golden who made no mistake with a super strike to extend her sides lead to six points.

Killeagh found it hard to make any progress against a solid defense and their cause wasn’t helped as they struck three wides in a row from frees and at the interval, St Finbarr’s led 2-3 to 0-3.

Killeagh enjoyed the best of the early second-half exchanges with Chloe Sigerson finding the range with three points in a row. It was surprising that with the wind to their back Killeagh persisted with a lot of hand passing instead of playing direct ball into their inside line as time and time, St Finbarr’s turned them over as they worked and regained possession.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Keeva McCarthy pointed a free to relieve the pressure and again on the nineteenth minute she was again on target as the Barrs regained their momentum.

Killeagh needed something and they created a goal chance with six minutes remaining after Hannah Looney found Rachel Sheehan with a long delivery but her kicked effort went over for a point. 

With five minutes remaining substitute Eimear Ryan sealed the deal with a St Finbarr’s goal after good work from Lynda O’Connell saw Ciara Golden offload to Ryan. 

Finishing strong with points from Ella Wiggington Barrett and McCarthy, St Finbarr’s safely through to the last four.

Scorers for St Finbarr’s: K McCarthy 1-5 (0-5 f), E Ryan, C Golden 1-0 each, E Olden, E Wiggington Barrett 0-1 each.

Killeagh: C Sigerson 0-4 f, R Sheehan 0-2, H Looney 0-1.

ST FINBARR'S: C Hurley; S Punch, A Egan, A O’Neill; M Cahalane, G O’Connor, R Finn; L O’Connell, A Shannon; C Sargent, C Golden, K McCarthy; O Cahalane, E Olden, R Myers.

Sub’s: E Wiggington Barrett for C Sargent (48), E Ryan for R Myers.

Killeagh: S Beausang; E Treacy, A Walsh, N O’Krefeld; L McEvoy, H Looney, C Daly; J O’Shea, S Kent; C Barry, C Sigerson, C Harvey; A O’Driscoll, R Sheehan (c), R Fogarty.

Sub: K Ahern for S Kent (h-t).

Referee: Simon Stokes( Tullylease).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more