Blistering Blarney blast past Carrigaline and into the PIHC decider

Blistering Blarney blast past Carrigaline and into the PIHC decider

Shane Barrett, Blarney, in action against Wesley O'Brien, Carrigaline. Picture: Larry Cummins. 

Blarney 4-20 Carrigaline 1-12 

BLARNEY blasted their way through to the Co-Op Superstores PIHC final against Castlelyons after a spectacular display at Páirc Uí Rinn.

With their big names hurling at full tilt, this was a far cry from the quarter-final when they had to pull off an epic comeback to pip Ballincollig. It was a serious statement from the club who won the grade in 2008, as they played slick and impressive stuff throughout.

Shane Barrett was lethal in the second half, finishing with 0-7 from play and Pádraig Power hit a hat-trick. Mark Coleman was at also at the heart of their excellent display, finishing a goal chance in style.

Blarney began this game with purpose as Declan Hanlon, Power and a free from Mark Coleman got them up and running.

Then with just five minutes played Blarney found the back of the net. After being picked out with a fine pass by Coleman, Power blasted the ball home with a sweet strike from a central position.

Carrigaline gradually grew into the contest and they got off the mark through early pointed efforts from Brian Kelleher, Eanna Desmond and Kevin O’Reilly.

After the opening water break, Blarney pointed through Keith Costello. The Mid Cork side could have had another goal through a well-struck Barrett strike, but Carrigaline keeper Mark O’Mahony produced a fine save.

Blarney did find another score through a cracker of a long-range free from Coleman. That was before the Cork Senior Hurler was to find the back of the net, after racing through and finishing clinically.

Carrigaline got two scores before the break from David Drake and Kelleher. Blarney held a seven-point advantage at half time: 2-7 to 0-6.

Carrigaline reduced the deficit through Kelleher and a Desmond before Blarney upped the gears again as Cork U20 forwards Barrett and Power continued to impress.

Barrett was in red-hot scoring form at this stage, clipping over four points from play in a six-minute burst.

Not long after the second water break, Power pounced for his second goal with a crisp strike from close range after breaking free.

By the concluding stages, Blarney were rampant in every sector as Carrigaline's heads dropped.

And that was before Power raced through to complete his treble.

Playing last weekend clearly stood to Blarney, while Carrigaline failed to recapture the form that saw them straight through to the last four.

 Mark O'Leary, Blarney, battles Kevin Kavanagh and Wesley O'Brien of Carrigaline. Picture: Larry Cummins
Mark O'Leary, Blarney, battles Kevin Kavanagh and Wesley O'Brien of Carrigaline. Picture: Larry Cummins

Scorers for Blarney: P Power 3-2, M Coleman (0-5 f) 1-7, S Barett 0-7, K Costello, D Hanlon 0-2 each.

Carrigaline: B Kelleher (0-6 f) 0-7, R O’Shea 1-0, E Desmond 0-2, D Drake, R Kelleher, K O’Reilly 0-1 each.

BLARNEY: P Hallissey; S Crowley, P O’Leary, D Walsh; A McEvoy, P Philpott, J Jordan; M Coleman, R Murphy; P Crowley, M O’Leary, D Hanlon; S Barrett, P Power, K Costello.

Subs: S Mulcahy for Costello (38), B Ahern for Murphy (44), B O’Connell for O’Leary (51), C Murphy for Power (55), C O’Mahony for Walsh (57).

CARRIGALINE: M O’Mahony; C Vaughan, S Williamson, D Stack; K Kavanagh, K O’Reilly, D Griffin; W O’Brien, E Desmond; D Drake, D McBarron, S O’Brien; B Kelleher, R O’Shea, R Kelleher.

Subs: K McIntyre for O’Brien (35), P Ronayne for Vaughan (44), T Murphy for R Kelleher (46), E O’Keeffe for McBarron (50), D King for Stack (53).

Referee: David Copps (Ballyhea).

More in this section

Sponsored Content