Junior hurling: Shamrocks reach Carrigdhoun final after Hassig thriller

Junior hurling: Shamrocks reach Carrigdhoun final after Hassig thriller

Picture: Brendan Moran/SPORTSFILE

Shamrocks 2-20 Ballinhassig 3-16

SHAMROCKS qualified for the final of the Declan O’Neill Furniture and Carpentry JAHC final when they scored a dramatic victory at Ballygarvan.

Shamrocks made the early running and led 1-6 to 0-2 after 17 minutes, the goal coming from Andrew O’Grady. But Ballinhassig, helped by a fortuitous Gavin Sheehan goal direct from a 65, and two Stephen Dineen goals early in the second half looked to be heading for victory.

But in a dramatic last quarter, in which the teams were level on five occasions, Ballinhassig’s Cian McCarthy, who was put through on goal in injury time, opted to go for a goal, which was saved, before Senan Collins fed Mark Hitchmore, and the centre-back sent over the winning score to secure Shamrock’s first final since 2005.

Sean Andrews, O’Grady, who hit 1-11, and Roy Twomey all had points for Shamrocks before a clever free found O’Grady all alone, and he blasted to the net to put Shamrocks in control.

Sheehan, who finished with 1-9, Diarmuid O’Sullivan, Jack Grainger and Eoghan Buckley all had points for Ballinhassig, but Shamrocks looked in control until Sheehan’s 65 went all the way to the net in the 24th minute, but points from Barry Mulqueen, O’Grady and Twomey left Shamrocks 1-10 to 1-8 ahead at the interval.

Dineen grabbed his first goal in the 32nd minute, but three minutes later Harry Andrews goaled after good work by O’Grady. Dineen again goaled in the 39th minute and a Sheehan point a minute later had Ballinhassig leading 3-12 to 2-12 after 40 minutes.

Andrews and O’Grady (2) had Shamrocks level by the 44th minute, and it was tit for tat until deep into injury time before Hitchmore’s long-range effort settled a dramatic tie.

Scorers for Shamrocks: A O’Grady 1-11 (0-9 f 0-1 65), H Andrews 1-2, R Twomey 0-2, D Andrews, S Andrews, B Mulqueen, J Boylan, M Hitchmore 0-1 each.

Ballinhassig: G Sheehan 1-9 (0-8 f, 1-0 65), S Dineen 2-0, D O’Sullivan 0-3, J Grainger, E Buckley, E McCarthy, C McCarthy 0-1 each.

SHAMROCKS: S Keane; C O’Grady, C Kidney, S Kelleher; B Mulqueen, M Hitchmore, S Collins; D Andrews, N Hayes; S Andrews, A O’Grady, R Twomey; H Andrews, J Boylan, D Kennedy. 

Subs: C O’Neill for R Twomey (45), M Jordan for D Kennedy (52), J Tuohy for S Kelleher (52).

BALLINHASSIG: A O’Leary; G Daly, J Lyne, J O’Loughlin; C Cullinane, M Ahern, E McCarthy; D Delea, S O’Leary; D O’Sullivan, J Grainger, C McCarthy; E Buckley, S Dineen, G Sheehan. 

Sub: A O’Mahony for G Daly (43).

Referee: Brian Coniry (Crosshaven)

More in this section

Sponsored Content