Strong showing from St Colman’s hurlers to reach minor final despite early red card

Strong showing from St Colman’s hurlers to reach minor final despite early red card

Eanna Motherway, here taking on James Kelleher for Cloyne against Newcestown's seniors, was centre-back at the St Colman's minors reached a county final. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

St Colman’s 0-16 Newcestown 0-14

ST COLMAN’S are through to the Premier 2 Minor Hurling final following a deserved victory over Newcestown in Cloyne. 

Considering the Colman’s team were down to 14 men for three-quarters of this game when they lost Pierce Cummins on the 16th minute it was an especially impressive victory.

Both sides exchanged early points with Conor Cahill and Daniel Cronin on target for Colman’s and Adam Giles and Edmund Kenneally on target for Newcestown.

Colman’s had a few decent goal chances fluffed but kept the scoreboard ticking over right up until the first water break when they led by three points.

Cummins put over Colman’s sixth point before the break but seconds later received a red card. At a time when Colman’s were starting to pull ahead suddenly Newcestown were back in it.

Kenneally put over two frees soon after to leave the minimum between the sides, followed by two Cronin points by a battling Coleman’s side and with a Kenneally strike on the half time whistle just two points separated the sides.

Noel Cahill sprung to life for Colman’s on the resumption with two fine points from play, but the extra man for Newcestown started to have an effect halfway through the third quarter with the one man point machine Edmund Kenneally firing over three unanswered points.

Conor Cahill replied for Colman’s and the game was in the balance and Cronin fired over another free for St Colman’s. That lead was reduced to just one point on the 48th minute following two well-struck Kenneally frees from distance.

Colman’s never gave up and put together a fantastic five minutes of hurling with a Cronin free and 65, plus outstanding scores from play from Conor and Noel Cahill. It was a tense final five minutes with Newcestown scoring through Kenneally, Eoin McSweeney and Richard O’Sullivan, but time ran out and Colman’s progress to the final.

Scorers for St Colman’s: D Cronin 0-6 (0-4 f, 0-1 65), N Cahill, C Cahill 0-3 each, E Motherway 0-2, D Byrne and P Cummins 0-1 each.

Newcestown: E Kenneally 0-11 (0-9 f), E McSweeney, R O’Sullivan, A Giles 0-1 each.

ST COLMANS: D Costine; A O’Lomasney, A Sherlock, C O’Brien; S Walsh, E Motherway, J De Vries; O McGovern, D Byrne; J Falvey, D Cronin, C Cahill; N Cahill, P Cummins, C O’Driscoll.

Subs: M O’Dwyer for J Falvey (35), T O’Regan for M O’Dwyer (42).

NEWCESTOWN: C Wilson; C O’Sullivan, G Kelleher, J Ryan; E Calnan, S O’Sullivan, J Kenneally; E McSweeney, A Giles; J O’Flanagan, E Kenneally, N Kelly; D McSweeney, R O’Sullivan, C O’Donovan.

Referee: Brian McSweeney (Erin’s Own).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more