Driven Newcestown knock former champs Carbery Rangers out

Driven Newcestown knock former champs Carbery Rangers out

Newcestown's Jack Meade shoots past Carbery Rangers' James O'Riordan during the Bon Secours Cork PSFC at Ballinascarty. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Newcestown 2-12 Carbery Rangers 2-9

NEWCESTOWN reached the Bons Secours Hospital Cork Premier SFC quarter-finals for the second year in a row as they powered past Carbery Rangers at Ballinascarthy.

With each side having lost to Castlehaven and beaten Ilen Rovers, this was effectively a play-off for a quarter-final. Trailing by 1-6 to 1-5 at half-time after a strong Rangers resurgence, Newcestown got a grip on the game again on the resumption, with three points in the opening ten minutes – from Daniel Twomey (two) and his brother Tadgh – putting them into a lead that they wouldn’t lose.

Newcestown were 1-11 to 1-6 in front with three minutes of normal time left when Carbery Rangers’ Mark Hodnett almost diverted a John O’Rourke shot into the net only for his palmed effort to come back off the crossbar. Buoyed by that let-off, Newcestown worked their way down the field and a good move ended with Jack Meade netting to open up an eight-point lead.

After John O’Rourke got Ross’s first score of the second half, they gave themselves a glimmer of hope when O’Rourke set Hodnett up for a well-taken goal. 

Luke Meade’s point – sandwiched by red cards for Ross players Michael Mennis and John Hayes – gave Newcestown breathing space again and, while Ross had late points from Brian Hodnett and Jerry O’Riordan, they couldn’t come any closer. It means Newcestown, semi-finalists last year, now face St Finbarr’s for a place in the last four.

They got a great start as David Buckley’s first-minute point was followed by a fine Tadgh Twomey goal, set up by the ever-industrious Jack Meade. While Ross replied with a pair of John Hayes frees, they proved to be his only scores and Newcestown pushed on, with Cárthach Keane’s excellent point making it 1-5 to 0-2 in the 20th minute.

Newcestown's Michael McSweeney breaks from Carbery Rangers' John Hayes. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
Newcestown's Michael McSweeney breaks from Carbery Rangers' John Hayes. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

However, Ross had given a glimpse of what they could do as Brian Shanahan’s goal effort had needed a good Chris White save and they were on top for the rest of the half. Points from James Fitzpatrick, Brian Hodnett, John O’Rourke and Mark Hodnett had them within two points and in injury time they went ahead as John Hayes and Alan Jennings combined to set up Shanahan for a goal.

It proved to be the only time they led, though. Jack Meade might have goaled for Newcestown after the restart but they put themselves back in front with points and held the upper hand from there to the end.

Scorers for Newcestown: T Twomey 1-2, J Meade 1-0, D Twomey 0-4 (0-1 f), D Buckley, C Keane 0-2 each, L Meade, S O’Sullivan 0-1 each.

Carbery Rangers: M Hodnett 1-1, B Shanahan 1-0, J Hayes (f), J O’Rourke, B Hodnett 0-2 each, J Fitzpatrick, Jerry O’Riordan 0-1 each.

NEWCESTOWN: C White; J Kelleher, C Twomey, M McSweeney; C Dinneen, L Meade, S O’Sullivan; C O’Donovan, F Keane; G O’Donovan, C Keane, D Buckley; T Twomey, D Twomey, J Meade.

Subs: E Kelly for Dinneen (47), T Horgan for O’Sullivan (48), M Kelly for C Keane (56, injured), C Healy for D Twomey (58), C O’Neill for F Keane (60).
CARBERY RANGERS: R Milner; Jame O’Riordan, R Hegarty, C Hennessy; T O’Rourke, Jerry O’Riordan, K Scannell; J Fitzpatrick, M Hodnett; A Jennings, B Hodnett, B Shanahan; J O’Regan, J Hayes, J O’Rourke.

Subs: S Hayes for O’Regan (half-time), D Hayes for Scannell (35), M Mennis for S Hayes (45, injured), P Hodnett for T O’Rourke (47).
Referee: J Ryan (Macroom).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more