Liam O'Shea in lethal form as Lisgoold target first East Cork junior hurling title

Liam O'Shea in lethal form as Lisgoold target first East Cork junior hurling title

Lisgoold forward Liam O'Shea has enjoyed success previously with Midleton CBS and the Cork minor hurlers.

Lisgoold 2-20 St Ita’s 3-11

LISGOOLD have yet to lift the Jamesey Kelleher Cup, but they’re just one win away from ultimate glory after an East Cork Oil JAHC semi-final win over St Ita’s.

A masterclass from former Cork minor star Liam O’Shea, who cut over three sideline balls, helped Lisgoold qualify for their first final, against last year’s runners-up Carraig na bhFear.

There was a doubt over Seamie Harnedy’s fitness, but while he played a major part, scoring two goals, Lisgoold did their best to curb the Rebel ace.

Harnedy levelled early, following a nice point from the excellent O’Shea.

Then O’Shea responded with a point from play and a free to see Lisgoold lead by two points halfway through the opening quarter.

Two minutes later and Harnedy showed his class yet again fielding a long ball, before turning and rifling it to the net from a tight angle for the lead.

John Cashman was on target twice for Lisgoold before another Harnedy score, but over the next seven minutes Lisgoold rattled off four unanswered points and then a great goal from Mark Hegarty to lead by seven points on the 23rd minute.

Paudie O’Brien pointed a free for Ita’s, but three late white flags from Lisgoold, two from O’Shea and another from Caolan O’Brien left Lisgoold ahead by eight at the break.

Ita’s started to eat into that deficit on the resumption with O’Brien pointing and a second Harnedy goal.

Lisgoold responded well before a long ball in from Ciaran O’Brien deceived everyone, including the Lisgoold keeper, so at the end of the third quarter the sides were level.

O’Shea restored the three-point advantage for Lisgoold with a goal on the 48th minute and seconds later Ita’s were awarded a penalty, but O’Brien’s effort was brilliantly saved by Kieran Cronin and that was a major turning point in the match.

Lisgoold cruised the last 10 minutes which included four O’Shea points and now they face Carraig na bhFear in the final.

John Cronin has Picture: INPHO/Ryan Byrne
John Cronin has Picture: INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Scorers for Lisgoold: L O’Shea 1-12 (0-8 f, 0-3 sideline, 0-1 65), M Hegarty 1-0, D O’Brien, J Cashman 0-3 each, J Ryan, C O’Brien 0-1 each.

St Ita’s: S Harnedy 2-3 (0-2 f), P O’Brien 0-8 (0-7 f, 0-1 65), D O’Brien 1-0.

LISGOOLD: K Cronin; C Healy, C Cashman, C O’Shea; K Cashman, C Hickey, J Cronin (c); L Walsh, C Scannell; J Ryan, L O’Shea, D O’Brien; C O’Brien, J Cashman, M Hegarty.

Sub: J O’Driscoll for M Hegarty (35).

ST ITA’S: D Meade; F Foley, B McCarthy, M Cunningham; B O’Neill, D O’Brien (c), M Coleman; C O’Brien, M Lillis, C Deane; S Harnedy, D Hickey; P O’Brien, E Coleman, E Loughnan.

Subs: D O’Rourke for E Loughnan (38), K Lee for D Hickey (42).

Referee: Brian Murphy (Carrigtwohill).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more