First-half masterclass enough for Kanturk to secure semi-final with Charleville

First-half masterclass enough for Kanturk to secure semi-final with Charleville

Darren Browne, Kanturk, breaking away from Bandon players Charlie Dullea, Ronan Crowley and Darren Crowley during their Co-Op Superstores Cork Senior A Hurling Championship match at Coachford. Picture: Dan Linehan

Kanturk 2-15 Bandon 0-15

A STRONG first half paved the way for Kanturk to advance to the semi-final of the Co-op SuperStores Cork SAFC as they saw off Bandon at Coachford yesterday.

Leading by 2-10 to 0-8 at half-time, the Duhallow side only added five second-half points while they finished with a tally of 16 wides but ultimately they were far too strong for the Lilywhites, who failed to perform as well as they could.

A last-four clash with Charleville awaits for Ronan Curran’s Kanturk and, on the basis of their flowing first-half display, they will fancy their chances of causing an upset. While Bandon led 0-2 to 0-1 after a pair of frees from Mike Cahalane – who operated at centre-back for most of the game – Kanturk hit the front with a seventh-minute Alan Walsh goal as he took down a Lorcán McLoughlin delivery and sent a one-handed shot to the net.

They pushed on after that with good points from Brian O’Sullivan and the impressive Aidan Walsh, who operated in a roving role, while Paul Walsh excelled at left half-back.

Kanturk could have had more goals, with Bandon goalkeeper Pat Prendergast quick off his line to deny Alan Walsh space on 13 and then saving from James Fitzpatrick.

The lead was 1-4 to 0-3 after a good Aidan Walsh point, set up Liam O’Keeffe, and though Ronan Crowley pulled one back for Bandon with a free, Kanturk struck for a second goal on 19. It was an excellent move as wing-back John Browne played a searching ball to Alan Walsh, who caught the ball despite being outnumbered before laying off to O’Keeffe, who finished well to the net.

Lorcán McLoughlin’s free gave them an eight-point lead by the water break and he had four more points to his names by half-time. While Bandon did have scores from Cian O’Mahony and Adam Murphy, they did need another good save from Prendergast to deny O’Keeffe a second goal.

Kanturk couldn’t maintain the same tempo after the break but they were still able to keep Bandon at arm’s length. Sub Charlie Long did have two points for the Carbery outfit after his introduction and Murphy’s fine score had them back to within five after the late water break in the 52nd minute.

Ronan Crowley, Bandon. going to ground in this clash with John McLoughlin, Kanturk. Picture: Dan Linehan
Ronan Crowley, Bandon. going to ground in this clash with John McLoughlin, Kanturk. Picture: Dan Linehan

Points from Brian O’Sullivan and sub Ian Walsh, sandwiching another from Long, meant there were six points in it when Bandon’s Darren Crowley was fouled for a penalty in injury time.

He took the shot himself but unfortunately couldn’t find the target and Kanturk saw things out to move on to the semis.

Scorers for Kanturk: L McLoughlin 0-5 f, Alan Walsh 1-1, B O’Sullivan 0-3 (0-1 65), L O’Keeffe 1-0, L O’Neill, Aidan Walsh 0-2 each, A Nash (f), I Walsh 0-1 each.

Bandon: M Cahalane 0-4 f, D Crowley, C Long (0-2 f) 0-3 each, R Crowley (f), A Murphy 0-2 each, C O’Mahony 0-1.

KANTURK: A Nash; J McLoughlin, L Cashman, A Sheehy; J Browne, D Browne, P Walsh; L McLoughlin, B O’Sullivan; Aidan Walsh, L O’Neill, J Fitzpatrick; R Walsh, Alan Walsh, L O’Keeffe.

Subs: C Mullane for L Cashman (29-half-time, blood), I Walsh for R Walsh (45), C Clernon for Aidan Walsh (60, injured).

BANDON: P Prendergast; A O’Connell, P Murphy, J O’Donovan; D Lucey, M Cahalane, T Twohig; C Dullea, C Calnan; D Crowley, J Hickey, A Murphy; M Sugrue, R Crowley, C O’Mahony.

Subs: J Walsh for Twohig (14, injured), C Long for R Crowley (42), M O’Regan for O’Mahony (53).

Referee: N O’Neill (Midleton).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more