Rockchapel defeat Ballinora to reach the IAFC semi-finals

Rockchapel defeat Ballinora to reach the IAFC semi-finals

Rockchapel's Nicholas Lenihan checks his stride against Ballydesmond in the Bons Secour IAFC at Kiskeam. Picture: John Tarrant

Rockchapel 2-14 Ballinora 1-11 

ROCKCHAPEL advance to the semi-finals of the Cork IAFC thanks to an impressive win over Ballinora in Mallow.

Led all the way by their talisman Jack Curtin and their midfield colossus Seamus Hickey, the north Cork men fully deserved to progress with Moss O’Keeffe, Cormac Curtin and Daniel O’Callaghan also showing their wares in the sunshine.

For Ballinora, Dara Corkery, Ian Wycherley and George Forde played well however the Muskerry men were chasing for the majority of the tie.

Ballinora looked strong in the early exchanges and were first to trouble the scoreboard with a point from Alan O’Shea. The Rock hit back with three points from the ever-dangerous Curtins, Jack (two) and Cormac (one) before the men in green and red struck the game’s first major – a Dara Corkery strike on 10 minutes.

Rockchapel hit back with scores from Jack Curtin and midfielder Seamus Hickey with Ballinora’s Neil Lordan landing big points – level at the water break 1-2 to 0-5.

Another big score from Hickey on the resumption put the Duhallow boys back in front before another Jack Curtin point (his best of the game) stretched the gap to two.

Curtin and Hickey were on fire at this point and another point apiece had the boys in purple four clear just after the 20 minute mark.

Two quick points from Ballinora cut the gap to just two however a brilliant run and even better finish to the net from Hickey helped Rockchapel to a four-point lead at the interval. (1-9 to 1-5).

Hickey had the ball in the Ballinora net a minute after the resumption but it was disallowed for over carrying but Jack Curtin made amends immediately finishing off a brilliant move by Corkery.

Ballinora battled all the way to the finish but ultimately ran out of steam as Rockchapel advance to the last four.

Scorers for Rockchapel: J Curtin 1-6 (0-3 f); S Hickey 1-4; C Curtin, J Walsh, W Murphy, N Linehan 0-1 each.

Ballinora: D Corkery 1-1 (0-1 f); B Ahearn (0-2 f), I Wycherley 0-2 each; G Forde, A O’Shea, N Lordan, L O’Donovan, A O’Neill, D Holmes 0-1 each.

ROCKCHAPEL: C Murphy; N O’Callaghan, E O’Callaghan, S Curtin; D O’Callaghan, M O’Keeffe, DJ O’Callaghan; S Hickey, C Kepple; J Walsh, W Murphy, J Curtin; M McAuliffe, C Curtin, K Collins. 

Subs: L Collins for DJ O’Callaghan (half time), N Linehan for C Curtin (55).

BALLINORA: J Conway; K O’Regan, T Forde, J O’Regan; G Forde, J Keohane, I Wycherley; J Lordan, M Lordan; A O’Shea, D Corkery, N Lordan; B Ahearn, D Holmes, A O’Neill. 

Subs: B Murphy for A O’Shea (inj 25); L O’Donovan for D Holmes (35), T Burns for J Lordan (inj 36), N O’Toole for K O’Regan (45).

Referee: Cathal Murphy (Brian Dillon's)

More in this section

Sponsored Content