Cobh Ramblers remain in the hunt for promotion after big win in Wexford

Cobh Ramblers remain in the hunt for promotion after big win in Wexford

Pierce Phillips was among the Cobh Ramblers scorers on the road to Wexford. Picture: Larry Cummins

Wexford FC 0 Cobh Ramblers 4

COBH Ramblers kept their League of Ireland Division 1 promotion playoff hopes alive with this convincing victory in Wexford on Friday night.

Stuart Ashton’s side knew victory was vital and they duly delivered here with an impressive display.

Goals from Darryl Walsh, Conor Drinan, Pierce Phillips and Stephen O’Leary ensured they made no mistake, and it was Cobh's biggest away win since in 13 years.

For this clash in the South East, Ramblers made one change from the Cabinteely game, with Stephen O’Leary coming into the team in place of the suspended David Hurley.

The night got off to the ideal start from a Cobh perspective when they went into the lead after five minutes on the clock. Darryl Walsh was to head in well inside the box, after getting on the end of a good ball into the penalty area from Charlie Lyons.

Wexford had their first real chance of note just past the quarter of an hour mark, as Azeez Yusuff went close after a dangerous run on the break.

Ramblers were to double their lead on the half an hour mark. Following a long ball over the top, Conor Drinan was on hand to tap home after capitalising on a mix up in the Wexford defence.

 Conor Drinan, Cobh Ramblers. Picture: Jim Coughlan.
Conor Drinan, Cobh Ramblers. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

The night was to get even better for Cobh after 34 minutes, as Pierce Phillips flicked the ball home well and neatly from a corner kick.

Cobh had the ball in the net again a few moments later through Naythan Coleman, but it was ruled out. As Wexford searched for any sort of lifeline, Conor Crowley went close with a strike on 43 minutes.

But after an impressive first half, it was Cobh who held a commanding lead at the half time break.

Ramblers got a fourth goal early into the second half. Drinan picked out Stephen O’Leary with a neat pass, who finished well to the corner of the net with a decent finish around the edge of the box.

Cobh were hungry for more and Drinan went close with a close-range header from a Walsh cross, while Lee Devitt saw his shot blocked down after a strong spell by the visitors on 70 minutes.

Wexford keeper Tom Murphy was forced into a good stop to deny a driving Walsh effort for Cobh from outside the box.

Heading into the final 10 minutes, Ramblers threatened again as Christopher O’Reilly fired wide from close range.

WEXFORD: Tom Murphy; Karl Fitzsimons, James Carroll, Dan Tobin, Conor Crowley, Azeez Yusuff, Karl Manahan, Patrick O’Sullivan, Charlie Smith, Kevin McEvoy, Jay Nwanze.

Subs: Malike Hill Benrougubi for O’Sullivan (57), Kieran Murphy for Smith (65), Kristian Crawford for Nwanze (78).

COBH: Sean Barron; John Kavanagh, Stephen O’Leary, Charlie Lyons, Ian Turner, Pierce Phillips, Naythan Coleman, Lee Devitt, Conor Drinan, Darryl Walsh, Greg Henry.

Subs: Christopher O’Reilly for Coleman (73), Cathal Crowley for Lyons, Martin Coughlan for Devitt (both 80). 

 Referee: Alan Carey.

More in this section

Sponsored Content