Cork camogie players crushed after late call to cancel intermediate series

Cork camogie players crushed after late call to cancel intermediate series

Ciara Hayes, Courcey Rovers, tries to block Joanne Casey, Inniscarra, during this season's senior club camogie final. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

CORK intermediate camogie manager Mark McCarthy fears that some members of the panel may opt-out after the decision to exclude the team from this year’s All-Ireland championship.

The Rebels had been due to face Kerry on Saturday but on Friday a directive forced Cork and other second-string outfits – Galway, Kilkenny, Dublin and Tipperary – out of the championship.

McCarthy is left disappointed with the call and feels that some players may be so disenchanted that they won’t come back.

“I’d imagine so,” he said.

“When you’re trying to build towards something for six weeks, with three sessions a week, and the anticipation and the drive within the camp that brings, and all of a sudden it’s taken away, 24 hours before competition, you’d be thinking some girls would throw their eyes up to heaven and say, ‘What’s the point?’

“That’s what I’m getting back from them but there are a couple of senior players who have reached out to me and said, ‘Whatever it takes, we’ll back.’

“If a petition could be got going, the same way the Cork minors did at the start of lockdown when that championship was taken away – Jerry Wallace started a petition and got 5,000 signatures.

“They’re looking towards that but I suppose time is against us. If we had been told that the whole championship was called off and the senior was getting all the focus, with testing and so on, you’d say fair enough.

“For the whole thing to go ahead without us because we’re a second team, it feels like a kick in the teeth.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content