portal_normal PUBLICATION STRUCTURE cat: /publications/ee-echo/sport


portal_normal STRUCTURE section: corksport

portal_normal getURLCurrent: /web/eveningecho/corksport/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=1c04fe16-553b-4938-9b22-018b6cbb217a

portal_normal getPortalURL getURLCurrent: http://www.echolive.ie./web/eveningecho/corksport/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=1c04fe16-553b-4938-9b22-018b6cbb217a

portal_normal getPortalURL: http://www.echolive.ie

portal_normal domain: http://www.echolive.ie

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - url: /corksport/Kanturk-rally-back-to-deny-Michaels-in-PIFC-semi-final-draw-1c04fe16-553b-4938-9b22-018b6cbb217a-ds

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - section: corksport

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - orgcat: orgcat = /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/SPORT

Kanturk's Aidan Walsh shoots from St Michael's Diarmuid Cormack. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
Kanturk's Aidan Walsh shoots from St Michael's Diarmuid Cormack. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Kanturk rally back to deny Michael's in PIFC semi-final draw

Kanturk 0-12 St Michael’s 1-9

A magnificent second-half display from the 2017 intermediate champions Kanturk earned them a draw in the Cork PIFC semi-final at Mallow. 

Five points in arrears at half-time, and a man down for the final four minutes plus stoppage, they kicked the last three points of the game for a deserved share of the spoils.

It is an outcome that St Michael’s will regret, as they were outstanding in the first half but lost their way.

While Ian Walsh opened the scoring in the first minute, it was St Michael’s who called the tune after that. Dan Lenihan’s fourth-minute goal was a real gem, it came after the ball was recycled outfield to Alan O‘Callaghan who fed Daniel Meaney with Lenihan ensuring a superb finish.

St Michael’s had found the rhythm and almost had a second goal from Tadhg Deasy but the ball came off the post, and near the quarter-hour mark another effort from Shane O’Keeffe was kept out by the woodwork again.

Nonetheless, St Michael’s remained on the front foot and were 1-2 to 0-2 in front midway through the half. Kanturk, meanwhile, not near as productive.

The second quarter belonged to St Michael’s as well with Deasy kicking over a monster from play and one from a placed ball. Keith Hegarty and Tom Lenihan showing their prowess coming up to half time with excellent points for St Michael’s to lead at the break, 1-6 to 0-4.

St Michael's Domhnall Cremin turns Kanturk's John McLoughlin. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
St Michael's Domhnall Cremin turns Kanturk's John McLoughlin. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

It was all Kanturk after the break, they fired five points in the 12 minutes after the restart from Ryan Walsh (2), Kyrle Holland, Ian Walsh and Darren Browne.

St Michael’s went two up courtesy of a fifth point from Deasy and one from substitute Eoghan Buckley. Despite Ryan Walsh receiving a second yellow for Kanturk as the clock was ticking down, Ian Walsh (2) and Aidan Walsh ensured parity.

Scorers for Kanturk: I Walsh 0-5 f, R Walsh 0-3, A Walsh 0-2 (0-1 45), K Holland, D Browne 0-1 each.

St Michael’s: T Deasy 0-6 (0-4 f), D Lenihan 1-0, T Lenihan, K Hegarty, E Buckley 0-1 each.

KANTURK: J Fullerton; J McLoughlin, D Browne, D O’Connor; A Sheehy, L O’Neill, L McLoughlin; A Walsh, P Walsh; M Healy, R Walsh, D O’Connell; C Clernon, I Walsh, J Fitzpatrick.

Subs: J Carver for D O’Connor (half-time), K Holland for C Clernon (38).

St MICHAEL'S: M Burke; D Cormack, R Dineen, O O’Sullivan; T Lenihan, A O’Callaghan, D Meaney; B Cain, A Murphy; D Lenihan, E Hegarty, K Hegarty; T Deasy, S O’Keeffe, D Cremin.

Subs: E Buckley for D Cremin (54), L O’Sullivan for D Lenihan (58).

Referee: Patrick O’Driscoll (Bride Rovers).