Manslaughter case adjourned; Cork man charged following alleged assault at soup kitchen in city 

Manslaughter case adjourned; Cork man charged following alleged assault at soup kitchen in city 

The prosecution barrister applied to have the case adjourned until October 26.

The case of a 48-year-old man accused of manslaughter by the unlawful killing of another man allegedly assaulted at a soup kitchen in Cork was adjourned this week.

Dermot Sheehan prosecution barrister applied on the opening day of the sessions of Cork Circuit Criminal Court for city cases to have the case adjourned until October 26.

Defence barrister Mahon Corkery said a lot of disclosure issues had to be dealt with before the case could proceed.

The accused man, Adrian Henry, was not required to appear in person for the mention of the case. He was remanded on continuing bail to appear again in October.

Detective Garda Neil Walsh originally charged Adrian Henry following an investigation that commenced in September 2019 into an alleged assault on a man while he was attending a soup kitchen in Cork city centre.

Adrian Henry is charged with the manslaughter of James Duncan, 40, at St. Patrick’s Street in Cork on September 12, 2019.

Det. Garda Walsh of Anglesea Street Garda Station gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution and told the court previously that Henry replied, “Not guilty”, when the manslaughter charge was put to him.

One of his bail conditions require him to reside at an address at Seminary Road in Blackpool and notify gardaí in writing of any change of address. 

He is also required to sign on every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at Anglesea Street Garda Station, provide gardaí with a mobile phone number that he can be contacted at all times, and stay off intoxicants.

Solicitor, Frank Buttimer said his client had been in rehabilitation abroad for several months following the date of the alleged incident and the gardaí were always aware where he was. Henry was remanded on continuing bail.

The late James Duncan from Dunmore Gardens, Knocknaheeny in Cork, had been availing of a soup kitchen at the time and he was rushed by ambulance to Cork University Hospital after suffering serious head injuries.

Mr Duncan underwent emergency surgery for traumatic brain injuries and he was later put on a ventilator at CUH but he was taken off the ventilator and died on October 25 2019.

More in this section

Sponsored Content


Catch up on the latest episode of Annie May and the Hit Brigade written and read by  Mahito Indi Henderson.

Add to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more