A cow died from lead poisoning after a car battery was dumped in a field in Nash’s Boreen.
It follows a number of recent dumping incidents in the area with construction waste, household rubbish and burnt-out cars being dumped in the area.
Local resident Derry O’Farrell said: “We had a situation with a farmer in that he lost a cow. Somebody dumped a battery in the field and the cow got lead poisoning.”
Mr O’Farrell said the area has improved in recent weeks, but that particular incident led to a huge loss for a local farmer.
“It has gotten better around the area, but things like that happening is awful.”
Mr O’Farrell said the local residents are extremely active in cleaning up the area.
The news comes as local Superintendent Gary McPolin urged residents to be vigilant about crimes being committed in the area.
According to Gurranabraher’s acting Superintendent Gary McPolin, the area is also a rat run for stolen cars as well as untaxed, uninsured cars that are being driven in the boreen and in the fields surrounding the area.
Supt McPolin said Nash’s Boreen has become “an area of note” for this type of activity and Gardaí have increased patrols there.
“We would ask residents to take note of any license plates.”
Mr O’Farrell also said there was a problem with small motorbikes in the fields annoying cattle.
“These bikes are very loud and they are taken through the fields and it upsets the cattle.”
Gurranabraher’s Supt also advised people walking in the area to take care. “Pedestrians or anyone utilizing that lovely walkway should be careful on the roads.”