Britain has a hung parliament, as it now impossible for any party to reach the 326 MPs required to achieve an absolute majority in the House of Commons.
Of the 650 available seats, here is the breakdown with just a handful left to declare:
* Conservatives 315 seats, Labour 261, SNP 35, Lib Dems 12, DUP 10, Ukip 0, Other 13;
* Labour performing much better than predicted;
* Turnout was 68.7%, up 2.6% on 2015;
* The strong Labour vote suggests big turn out of young voters;
* Theresa May will not resign after failing to secure the majority she had sought, Sky News are reporting, quoting a senior aide to the British Prime Minister.
For more on the results are they are confirmed, and on what this means for the UK, see http://www.breakingnews.ie/