Cork teen recovering from shock of Manchester attack

Cork teen recovering from shock of Manchester attack
Cork Teenager Kiara McKelvey, poses for a selfie at home before leaving for the Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena on Monday night

A Cork teenager who was caught up in the attack on the Manchester Arena on Monday night is recovering well from the shock and is in “good hands” after her ordeal, her uncle told the Evening Echo.

Kiara McKelvey,15, originally from Tower but now living in Manchester, was attending the Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena when the terrorist attack took place.

Ms McKelvey’s uncle Lloyd Creagh, Harbour View Road, told the Echo his niece is still in shock after the ordeal but that she’s “in good hands.” “She went into school today, there’s a counselling service there. She’s in a lovely Catholic school over in Manchester and they have a counselling service. She’s had a little sleep and she’s in good hands.” “But it will take her a while to get over,” he said, adding that it was a very upsetting incident for such a young teenager to witness.

Ms McKelvey moved from Cork a year ago with her family. She previously attended school in Ballincollig.

Her family just moved into a new home in Manchester last Friday, Mr Creagh added.

As thousands of young people left the concert on Monday night, a suicide bomber activated a homemade device in the foyer of the arena.

Ms McKelvey was sitting with a friend on the opposite side of the stadium to where the bomb was detonated, according to Mr Creagh.

After a stampede of people broke out, the two girls were forced to climb over a rail to escape, he added.

As the concert was still in technically in session, they encountered locked exit-doors which they were pinned up against but eventually these doors were opened.

The girls were able to escape outside where they met the friend’s mother who had been waiting to collect the two friends after the concert.

Ms McKelvey family is extremely grateful that she was unharmed in the incident that has so far killed 22 people, including children, and injured dozens more.

“In one sense, people are still missing. My sister is still in shock, my father is a bit of a softie and he’s very upset but Christ we’re the lucky ones. Thank God she’s safe,” Mr Creagh said.

Manchester police have confirmed 12 children under the age of 16 were among the casualties taken to hospital after the attack.

The so-called Islamic State militant group (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the attack.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

summersoaplogosml

Called Droid, our next story is about a boy who designs a robot at UCC and chaos ensues. It was written by Margaret Gillies, from the MA in Creative Writing Programme at UCC.

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more