A Cork TD wants an audit done on the safety of the M8 Cork-Dublin motorway and intends to raise the matter with the Minister for Transport.
On Monday night, a man in his seventies died after a collision involving a car going the wrong way on the motorway between the turnoffs for Cahir and Mitchelstown.
The deceased man was named as Dave Walsh, from Skeheenarinky, in County Tipperary.
The driver of the second car was taken to Cork University Hospital with injuries described as minor.
It is at least the third case in the space of four years of a death after someone went the wrong way on this motorway.
Cork East TD Kevin O’Keeffe said he would raise the issue with the Minister for Transport to examine of more measures are needed to prevent cars accessing the motorway in the wrong direction.
“I have raised it a few times following previous tragedies. I raised it in the Transport Committee with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) over 12 months ago and I had already raised it in my time with the County Council.
“It seems be very easy to access that road, there should be some kind of a measure in place to make sure a car can’t swing on to it, to make it clear that you are going wrong.”
“I was told by the TII that a safety audit had assessed it and felt that the junctions were safe enough,” he said. “We seem to focus on other issues when it comes to road safety. This issue is lost track of, and we see now another fatality arising.”
Mr O’Keeffe said it was imperative that action was taken before there was another tragedy.
“I will be raising it again without a doubt, a further safety audit will have to be carried out on the interchange junctions. There must be some way of restricting it.
“Why do we have to wait for a fatality again? It is happening more often than people realise. These are the ones that cause fatalities, there are a number of other incidents that aren’t even reported.”