CORK City Council is seeking a contractor to refurbish and replace the lamp standards on Patrick's Bridge as part of the overall project to refurbish the historic structure.
The successful tenderer will be required to remove the four existing cast iron columns and lanterns on the bridge and the additional four in storage and send them for repair and restoration. In addition, six duplicates will be made which shall be exact copies of the originals.
The 14 repaired standards will then be stored before 12 of them will be installed on the refurbished bridge at a date in the future.
In previous years there were criticisms from traders in MacCurtain Street that the lights on the bridge were not working leading to a 'disconnect' for pedestrians between the city centre island MacCurtain Street.
Dating back to 1861, St Patrick’s Bridge is a three-span masonry arch bridge spanning the north channel of the River Lee from Patrick’s Street to Bridge Street.
It replaced a previous bridge that was swept away in a flood in 1853 that killed up to eight people.
The bridge three elliptical stone masonry arches with carved keystones of St. Patrick, St. Bridget, Neptune and the three sea goddesses.
Contractors were appointed in June by the City Council for the overall bridge refurbishment with repair work also required for the stonework and mortar joints and new paving.
"The condition of the stonework pointing is poor as many joints have lost their mortar fill and many also have inappropriate cementitious mortars. The intention will be to rake out all joints fully and replace with a lime based mortar with all joints struck flush," the survey documents state.
The deadline to respond to the lamp standards tender is October 16.