Incinerator decision delayed for seventh time

Incinerator decision delayed for seventh time
An artist's impression of the Indaver plan at Ringsakiddy

The decision on whether to allow an incinerator to be built in Ringaskiddy has been delayed for the seventh time by An Bord Pleanála, leaving local campaigners waiting until the Christmas period for more news.

It is now expected the planning authority will announce whether it will allow Indaver to operate its proposed waste facility - which would turn 240,000 tonnes of waste into energy every year – on December 19.

The original planning application was lodged with An Bord Pleanála in 2001 and another in 2008. A third application was lodged in January of 2016 and several deadline dates have all passed off without a final decision.

A campaign group against the proposed facility, Cork Harbour Alliance for a Safe Environment, said: “We would urge An Bord Pleanála to consider the many and significant changes which have taken place between the time of their statutory deadline of July 2016 and now.” 

The land was recently rezoned by Cork County Council for educational use.

An Bord Pleanála told the Evening Echo earlier this month that the Ringaskiddy incinerator is the second longest-running live case on its books.

There is currently a live case that was originally lodged with the Board in January 2014 by the Galway Harbour Company for an extension of Galway Harbour.

Chris Clarke, board secretary of An Bord Pleanála, said: “There are other decided cases that have taken longer and many of those featured unusually complex issues, very often involving compliance with European Directives. Occasionally, cases take a long time because of external factors, such as legal action.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content

summersoaplogosml

Catch up on the latest episode of Annie May and the Hit Brigade written and read by  Mahito Indi Henderson.

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more