Staff and clients shocked by health centre’s closure

Staff and clients shocked by health centre’s closure
Source Health & Fitness Cork closed for business. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

STAFF and clients of Source Health and Fitness are still reeling after the centre announced it was to cease trading for the foreseeable future.

An automated text message was sent out at 11pm on Monday night, informing employees and users that the centre was closed.

Sarah Murphy, who has been working at the creche facility at the gym for the past three years, said she was shocked when she got the message.

“We were thanked for our hard work and then we got an email from our own manager and a letter from the director.”

Ms Murphy, 33, who has an eight-year-old daughter Robin, said she did not get much sleep on Monday night.

“I was told at 11pm I had no job. I was supposed to be starting work at 9.30am on Tuesday. I have an eight-year-old, it is going to be hard to financially support the two of us.”

She said staff had no idea this would happen.

Yesterday, the staff had meetings with their managers at the centre and Ms Murphy said it was hugs all around. “We all get on so well, everyone was in tears. It is horrible the way it ended.

“The manager is just as upset as us. Her job is gone too.”

Ms Murphy said the creche facility at the gym will be missed by many.

Despite losing her job, Mr Murphy said there are hundreds of people worse off and there was no animosity between the staff.

“It was not their fault. There was nothing anyone could have done.”

Peter Walsh has been a member of Source Health and Fitness for past 10 years. He said it was a great facility with lovely staff and an amazing swim coach.

“I’m devastated, really gutted,” Peter said.

“I feel for the staff, after 10 years working there, I know a lot of them.”

Peter said he also knew someone who paid full year’s membership of €1,000 just the other day.

A number of users took to Facebook to vent their frustration about the situation with people complaining of losing payments that they had recently made to the centre while others simply said they were going to miss the place.

One worker said he was devastated after working there for 10 years and his partner had been there 11.

“I’m still in shock,” he wrote.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more