Douglas murder: Man released from custody

Douglas murder: Man released from custody
Joe O’Callaghan, 66, originally from Grange, who was found dead at his home on Galway’s Lane, Douglas this morning.

A 22-year-old man was released from garda custody last night as investigations continue into the murder of an elderly man at his home in Douglas on Monday.

The young man, believed to be known to the deceased, was arrested under section four of the Criminal Justice Act following the suspicious death of 66-year-old Joe O’Callaghan.

The post-mortem examination on the body of Mr O’Callaghan was completed last night, but gardaí say results won’t be released for operational reasons.

However, the investigation has officially been upgraded to a murder case.

Gardaí issued a statement last night, confirming that they had released without charge the man who was arrested in relation to the incident.

“The man had been detained at Togher Garda Station.

“A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions,” the statement said.

It appears nothing was taken from Mr O’Callaghan’s property during the incident, leading gardaí to rule out attempted robbery.

Gardaí have also conducted extensive house to house enquiries and are examining local CCTV footage from the time Mr O’Callaghan was last seen.

Under the direction of Superintendent Charlie Barry, a Crime Scene Investigation was carried out and sniffer dogs extensively searched the surrounding area for anything of interest.

Mr O’Callaghan was found by his wife Angie in a pool of blood when she arrived home after finishing her night shift at 8.30am on Monday morning.

Neighbours have said that there were disturbances at the father-of-three’s house in the hours prior to his death.

One neighbour described a row on the doorstep of the home at Galway’s Lane, next to Douglas GAA Club, loud banging and a man reportedly shouting “open the f**king door” at around 1.30am.

Shocked locals described Mr O’Callaghan as a nice quiet man from a well respected and well-known family in Douglas.

The violent incident has left the community upset and worried.

Local councillor Joe Harris said some elderly residents have been left fearing for their own security.

Mr Harris, who knew Mr O’Callaghan, 66, for the past 50 years, said locals wanted the case solved as soon as possible.

“We need to find out what happened,” Mr Harris said.

More in this section

Sponsored Content