THE ongoing development of new student apartments on the former Beamish & Crawford brewery site has seen the reemergence of a historic Cork laneway that dates back to the early 1700's.
Lambley's Lane was named after Alderman William Lambley, mayor of Cork 300 years ago, in 1716, and also a former sheriff in the city.
It was one of a number of small laneways running off South Main Street, one the oldest parts of the city.
It was first recorded on maps in 1726 but was eventually incorporated into the Beamish & Crawford brewery.
The laneway will now be reinstated as part of the development to build more than 400 student apartment bed spaces on the northern edge of the site.
Recent construction work at the western edge of the site close opposite Clarke's Bridge by the former dole office shows the re-emergence of Lambley's Lane.
A new footbridge will also be installed connecting the resurrected Lambley's Lane to Crosse's Green. Eventually, the development will create a connection from Crosse's Green, through to Tuckey Street and onto Oliver Plunkett Street.
The developers Bam have also been given planning permission for the redevelopment of the central part of the Beamish site around the historic Counting House building.
Discussions continue in relation to the Events Centre planned for the southern end of the site. It is also planned to resurrect another historic laneway, Creamer's Lane, that will be located between the Counting House and the planned Events Centre.
Work recently took place to install the construction crane for the student apartment development. It is one a number of such construction cranes that now dot the city's skyline as the pace of commercial and residential construction continue to increase.