Celtic and United stars are hoping for a big Páirc turnout for Liam

Celtic and United stars are hoping for a big Páirc turnout for Liam
The tribute game for Liam Miller takes place on September 25. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

The organisers of the Liam Miller benefit match are confident of a large turnout at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on September 25 despite the 3pm kick-off.

It was revealed at the weekend that the game will go ahead, following a meeting between the organisers and Cork County Board.

Those who have already purchased tickets for the event will be issued with a replacement ticket, located in the Páirc Uí Chaoimh South Stand. Instructions will be issued directly in due course by Ticketmaster.ie to customers on how to swap these tickets.

Michael O’Flynn, chairman of the organising committee of the Liam Miller tribute match at the press announcement at O’Flynn offices in Ballincollig yesterday.	Picture: Eddie O’Hare
Michael O’Flynn, chairman of the organising committee of the Liam Miller tribute match at the press announcement at O’Flynn offices in Ballincollig yesterday. Picture: Eddie O’Hare

Tickets for the rest of the stadium will go on sale on Monday, August 13, at 10am. There will be a number of ticket options available. Ticket prices will range from €10 for a terrace concession to €90 for premium level.

It was also announced that an underage GAA game, featuring boys and girls from Miller’s boyhood club Éire Óg, will take place at half time.

The match details come after weeks of controversy and calls for the GAA to make the stadium available. The game was initially to be played at Turner’s Cross, with a capacity of around 7,000.

The tickets sold out within minutes amid calls for a switch to the 45,000 capacity Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Meanwhile, Cork County Board have confirmed there will be no rental cost involved with the stadium.

Organiser and developer Michael O’Flynn revealed that the GAA have not put forward any requirements in terms of how the funds raised on the day will be split.

He did add that other charities are likely to benefit, as well as the Miller family and Marymount Hospice where Miller spent his final weeks.

“We’re hopeful for a large turnout, the more that turn out, the more that will benefit,” said Mr O’Flynn.

“We appreciate the game is in the middle of the afternoon but this is a unique event and we know the people of Cork and elsewhere will realise this, and we hope that employers do too. The Cork County Board has kindly agreed that we would have Páirc Uí Chaoimh rent free and we have also agreed that the GAA element of the event will be a juvenile match involving members of Liam’s home club of Éire Óg that will be played at half-time in the soccer match,” he added. “That will be quite a unique situation. It will be both girls and boys and it will be both hurling and football and we expect that we will have both games go ahead at the same time across the pitch, as happens at half-time in major GAA championship games.”

Mr O’Flynn also added that organisers were currently in discussions with one broadcaster about the possibility of the game being televised, but the logistics of doing that have to be examined closely.

Former Cork City star Liam Miller passed away earlier this year at the age of 36, following a battle with pancreatic cancer.

The benefit game will see a host of stars from his days with Celtic, Man United and the Republic of Ireland line out in honour of the Cork man.

Mr O’Flynn said that former Man United and Ireland star Roy Keane was delighted when he was informed the game was changed to Páirc Uí Chaoimh. He said the Miller family were humbled and overwhelmed by the support from the community.

“The family wasn’t comfortable with the glare of publicity but they were completely overwhelmed by the public support and delighted that it can now go ahead at Páirc Uí Chaoimh,” said Mr O’Flynn.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more