GAA confirm Liam Miller tribute match will move to Páirc Uí Chaoimh

GAA confirm Liam Miller tribute match will move to Páirc Uí Chaoimh

All funds raised from the game will go towards the Miller family and Marymount Hospice. Picture Dan Linehan

The GAA has confirmed they will allow the Liam Miller benefit game to be played at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on September 25.

The Central Council met at 10.30am this morning to discuss the proposal put forward by the game’s organisers.

Organisers had expressed their desire to host the event in Cork’s revamped stadium which has a capacity of 45,000.

The tribute game will take place in Pairc Uí Chaoimh on September 25. Pic: Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile
The tribute game will take place in Pairc Uí Chaoimh on September 25. Pic: Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile

Tickets went on sale last week for the event in Turners Cross, which has a capacity of just 7,000 and sold out within minutes.

A joint statement from the GAA and the organisers state: "The GAA and the Organising Committee of the Liam Miller Tribute Match can confirm that following meetings of the GAA’s Management Committee and Central Council, the event will take place at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Tuesday September 25th."

"In agreement with the Committee the day will also include a GAA event in advance of the Tribute Match. The details will be finalised in the coming weeks."

"Further information relating to arrangements and ticketing for the game - including those purchased already for Turner’s Cross - will be finalised at a meeting of the Committee and Cork GAA on Monday and made public shortly afterwards."

"The GAA would like to wish the family of Liam Miller and the organisers every success in their efforts."

"The Committee of the Liam Miller Tribute Match would like to thank the GAA for their support with this event."

Lord Mayor of Cork Cllr Mick Finn said he is delighted for the Miller family and all involved in this event.

“Common sense has won the day,” he said.

“I applaud the GAA authorities for making this common sense decision within the parameters of their own rules.

“It’s easy for the social media experts to castigate the GAA - some of the criticism levelled has been rooted in ignorance of what the Association means to people - but it has its rules and, don’t forget GAA was the avenue in which Liam first came to sporting prominence,” he added.

“Credit must go too to our local Cork GAA management who appreciated this from the outset and who played a part in getting to this point.

“There has been a huge groundswell of support behind holding this special event in Cork ‘s - indeed Munster’s - premier venue: the right decision has been made.

“Credit must now be given, though I’m sure the GAA naysayers will continue to take further potshots across various media platforms.” 

“That 7,000 tickets sold out in a minute for Turner’s Cross speaks volumes for the regard and respect in which Liam was held.

“This controversy cannot have been easy for Liam’s family to see and hear every day and I hope a line can now be drawn under it and that everyone unites in support of them and charity partner Marymount.” The Lord Mayor added that he hopes Cork people will now live up to their reputation and ensure the Pairc will have its first daytime sellout crowd.

He also expressed his hopes that the bigger capacity will facilitate different pricing brackets to open up the event to the unemployed, OAPs, students and school kids.

More in this section

Sponsored Content