THE man convicted of the murder of Cork mum Olivia Dunlea has lodged another appeal against his conviction.
The 36-year-old mother of three had been stabbed before she died in a blaze at her home in Passage West on February 17, 2013. Her charred body was found in her bed and she had been stabbed six times.
Last month, 41-year-old Darren Murphy from Dan Desmond Villas in Passage West was convicted of her murder at the Central Criminal Court.
He had pleaded guilty to her manslaughter but not guilty of her murder.
Ms Dunlea's family are devastated by the revelation that Murphy has sought to appeal his conviction.
Murphy's conviction followed a third trial.
The first trial ended with a hung jury. The second trial led to a conviction which was overturned on appeal because of the trial judge’s failure to explain fully the legal meaning of the defence of provocation.
The last trial ran over three weeks After the guilty verdict on June 18, Olivia's mother Ann said: “We heard it all twice before and it doesn’t get any easier and you are worried about the outcome, what’s the verdict going to be...” He lodged the appeal with the Courts Service on July 11, less than a month after his conviction.
A spokesman for the Courts Service said no date has yet been set for a hearing.
Ms Dunlea was a playschool teacher and youth leader. She was the mother of two sons and a daughter - Aaron, 17, Megan, 15 and Daragh, 14.
After the trial last month, Ann also spoke of the legacy Olivia has left behind them through them.
She said: “They come to my house every day. They are a credit to Olivia, three nice good kids. They have her mannerisms, all three of them. She will never be really gone, they have her nice ways and everything.”