Polish man remains under questioning over Ballincollig murder

Polish man remains under questioning over Ballincollig murder
Couple Mikołaj and Elzbieta Wilk. Mikolaj was murdered during the attack on their home while Elzbieta suffered serious hand injuries in the incident.

TWO Polish men and a Latvian man have been quizzed in relation to one of the most gruesome murders Cork has ever seen.

The three men, all in their 30s, were detained yesterday at Gurranabraher and Bridewell Garda Stations for questioning about the murder of Mikolaj Wilk in Ballincollig last summer.

Two of the men were released overnight and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. The third man remained in custody today. He was arrested under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act 2007 and can be held for seven days.

Mr Wilk, aged 35, was brutally murdered in front of his wife and kids by a masked gang at his home at Maglin Bridge, near Ballincollig, on June 10, 2018.

It was one of the most grotesque murders Cork has ever seen and up to 15 gardaí who attended the scene required trauma counselling afterwards.

The attackers burst into the house at around 3am and hacked Mr Wilk to death before fleeing the scene.

Mr Wilk was rushed to Cork University Hospital but died shortly afterwards from multiple stab and slash wounds.

The inquest heard that Mr Wilk, a gardener who was well-known in the community, died of haemorrhage and shock due to multiple blows with a sharp weapon associated with a traumatic brain injury.

In the weeks after the murder, gardaí seized nine vehicles and searched six houses and a business premises in a swoop on the Ballincollig area.

Mr Wilk’s wife, Elzbieta was also injured in the attack. She has since returned to live in Poland with the couple’s children.

Yesterday morning, investigating gardaí arrested the three men and carried out a number of searches.

The searches were carried out in the Ballincollig area and gardaí have said that they cannot comment on what they found as it is an ongoing investigation.

They have liaised with police authorities in Mr Wilk’s home country as part of investigation in recent months.

A motive for the killing has not been made known.

More in this section

Sponsored Content