"I thought he was dead" - Cork mother's horror after son injured in hit-and-run

"I thought he was dead" - Cork mother's horror after son injured in hit-and-run
Little Zac Higgins who was seriously injured in a hit-and-run in the city

A Cork mother has described her horror after her two-year-old son was struck by a car in a hit-and-run incident on Monday afternoon.

Zac Higgins suffered a bleed on his brain, a broken shoulder blade and collarbone, and required his head to be glued after being struck by a car at Castle Meadows on the Skehard Road at around 4pm on Monday.

He was transferred from CUH to Temple Street Children’s Hospital by ambulance on Monday night for treatment.

He remains in a critical but stable condition and is due to undergo an MRI scan today.

Zac’s mother Ashling said she feels helpless at the moment but is grateful for all the support her family has received in recent days.

“I can’t even tell you how upsetting it is, it’s horrendous,” she said, speaking on RedFM.

“The nurses, doctors, everybody, Temple Street have been amazing.

“They’re all so helpful and so nice,” she added.

Zac’s doctors had attempted to take Zac off his breathing apparatus and out of his induced coma on Thursday.

However, they were unhappy with his breathing and pain responses so he was put back into the coma and went for another CT scan.

Ashling said it was a rollercoaster of a day and that her and her husband Paul were back at Temple Street this morning at 6am.

“I was all over the place last night because it was such a rollercoaster and we were so upset.

“I just couldn’t stop crying.

“It’s a waiting game now,” she added.

Ashling admitted that it is a miracle little Zac is still alive.

“I have prayed and prayed and prayed that he will wake up and be okay,” she said.

When Ashling’s neighbours arrived at the door on Monday to inform her that Zac had been knocked down, she ran outside looking for him.

She said he was so small lying there in the road that at first she did not even see him.

“I thought he was dead,” she admitted.

“I started screaming he’s dead.

“There was an almost eerie silence.

“Then people rang the ambulance,” she added.

“I was distraught, I couldn’t do anything, I thought he was dead.” Ashling said that they are hopeful the MRI will not show any negative results or further injuries and that Zac can make a full recovery.

The car involved in the incident, a blue Mazda 6, fled the area but was later found abandoned nearby.

A male teenager arrested in connection with the incident was released from Garda custody.

A file will now be prepared for the information of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Anyone with information or who may have dash cam footage is asked to contact Anglesea Street Garda Station 021 4522000 the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

More in this section

Sponsored Content