County council will remain in charge of Douglas river flood scheme

County council will remain in charge of Douglas river flood scheme
Flooding in Douglas in 2012. Pic: Eddie O'Hare

CORK City Council is to become a client of the Cork County Council to complete the Douglas River Flood Risk Assessment and Management Scheme once the boundary extension takes effect on June 1.

According to County Hall’s Senior Engineer for Flood Projects, Kevin Costello, the €11.5m project will continue to be managed by Cork County Council with agreement from Cork City Council.

Mr Costolloe said the project would be “driving on as it is.”

“We have discussed it with the City Council to ensure a smooth handover, and we have reached an agreement with the city council that they would take on the project but we would remain in position as the Project manager because it is something we have been following through for a number of years now.

“That’s our plan and that proposal has gone to the OPW in terms of with regards signing off on the project.”

Local Douglas Fine Gael Councillor Deirdre Forde said the decision makes sense.

“There is a lot of expertise built up over time and to change over now would lose time and potential funding. The plan is to get the job done as soon as possible.”

Ms Forde said that the County has been working on the flood plans since the flash floods of 2012 and in those years a great deal of information and knowledge had been gathered which would be lost if the city took over the project in June.

“There has been a lot of work done of late and there is bound to be overlapping projects, this is one way to ensure that the work is done well.”

The scheme includes three work packages, the Douglas Flood Risk Assessment package, which comes back from tender in April, the Togher Service Diversion which is to be published next month and the Togher Culvert which is to go to tender in the coming months, most likely June.

The scheme includes walls and embankments, drainage works including new pump stations, bridge replacements and two bridge removals, river regrading and widening in Douglas as well as culvert ant trash screen replacement in Togher.

Ms Forde raised the issue of the Douglas trash screen saying there needed to be a review of the mechanism to ensure it would be effective when needed. “It is a legitimate question to ensure that the Douglas trash screen is verified. There is no harm keeping an eye on these things.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more