Two privately-owned buildings on Oliver Plunkett Street, Bandon are to be demolished following a District Court decision sought by the Cork County Council.
The Council claimed the buildings presented a risk to the public and the street had been closed off to the public since December 10, 2018.
Because of the urgency of the case, the Council secured an early hearing of the case in Bandon District Court today and were granted permission to demolish the buildings.
Today, the decision was welcomed by the Council’s Chief Executive Tim Lucey who said it was regrettable that the owners of the properties had not acted based on the statutory notices served on them in late January, which prolonged the closure of the street.
“Primary responsibility has always rested with the property owners to remedy this situation.
“We will continue to treat this as a priority due to the strategic positioning of the property within the town of Bandon and will now proceed swiftly to demolish the buildings and make the area safe so that we can reopen the street at the earliest possible date," Mr Lucey said.
The Council will now make immediate arrangements to undertake the work required and ensure that it can re-open the section of Oliver Plunkett Street at the earliest opportunity.