THE executive council of the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation is to meet today after the Labour Court adjourned yesterday until Monday.
The INMO raised issues with regards to funding for safe staffing with both the Labour Court and the HSE in recent days.
The court has adjourned until Monday to allow time to engage on these issues.
Talks were referred back to the Labour Court after the INMO previously labelled the Government’s draft contracts as “unreasonable” and has rejected them.
A ballot of INMO members which was due to take place last Monday has been postponed by two weeks.
The government’s’ attempts to alter the Labour Court recommendations set out to resolve the nursing dispute were rejected by Cork nurses and midwives and rightly so, according to union representative Liam Conway.
“From our local perspective, the attempted stretching of the limits set by the Labour Court have been rightly rejected,” said Mr Conway, INMO industrial relations officer for Cork.
“It would simply not work on a practical level for members, management and the services,” he added.
INMO general secretary Phil Ní Sheaghdha said: “We are deeply disappointed with the government’s attempt to stretch the limits set by the Labour Court in these contract talks.
“Government insistence on unreasonable contract terms would put nurses and midwives in some of the most insecure jobs in Ireland, allowing unilateral changes to work locations and hours. We will not allow this.
“The Government’s contract proposals are unacceptable to us and would only worsen the recruitment and retention problems.
“We believe that the government’s proposed contract goes far beyond the Labour Court recommendation and will be making this case firmly to the Court on behalf of our members.
“Our constant focus is to improve conditions for our members and deliver safe patient care. We will continue to exhaust all avenues to achieve this aim.”