Pensioner admits assaulting neighbour but claimed victim threatened to have him shot by the IRA

Pensioner admits assaulting neighbour but claimed victim threatened to have him shot by the IRA
The Courthouse on Anglesea Street.

A 68-year-old Fair Hill man admitted assaulting his next-door neighbour but claimed the victim threatened to have him shot by the IRA.

Timmy O’Riordan, aged 68, of 29 Fair Hill Drive, Fair Hill, pleaded guilty today to a charge of assaulting Timmy Forde at Fair Hill Drive, on July 16, 2018.

Sergeant John Kelleher outlined the background to the case.

He told the court: “On July 16, 2018, gardaí from Gurranabraher attended at Fair Hill Drive, where they met Timmy Forde who alleged that he had been assaulted by his neighbour, Timmy O’Riordan.

“Garda Sharon MacCarthy observed that Mr Forde had a large cut to his head and was being treated by ambulance personnel who were at the scene.

“Gardaí subsequently interviewed Timmy O’Riordan after caution and he made a statement admitting that he did hit Timmy Forde but he claimed self-defence and that Timmy Forde came into his driveway in a threatening manner and threatened him by saying he would get him shot by the IRA.”

Mr Forde is being prosecuted for engaging in threatening words or behaviour. Frank Buttimer, solicitor, said Mr Forde was pleading not guilty to this charge and that case against him was adjourned until November 12 for hearing at Cork District Court.

Sgt Kelleher said O’Riordan, who admitted assault, had no previous convictions of any kind.

“The CCTV footage of the incident shows that Mr Forde was beckoning Mr O’Riordan on to the street and then he entered Mr O’Riordan’s driveway,” said Sgt Kelleher. 

“This is contrary to Mr Forde’s statement where he stated that it was Mr O’Riordan who was gesturing for him to come into his drive. The injury appears to have occurred when he fell.”

Mr Forde gave victim impact evidence after O’Riordan pleaded guilty to assaulting him.

“Psychologically, it has affected me long-term,” he said. 

“I have a seven-and-a-half inch scar on top of my head. I just cannot come to terms with it. I cannot understand it for the life of me. I was speaking to this man a week before and I said: ‘How are you getting on fishing?’ ”

Solicitor Michael Malone, for O’Riordan, said the defendant had reached the age of 68 without any conviction of any kind.

“My client was at his home on the night,” he said. “Mr Forde made his remarks. Mr Forde was out all day. My man was not the aggressor by any means and acted for the protection of himself. There were some previous adventures with this man [Mr Forde].

“He [O’Riordan] wanted to put him outside the gate. It [Mr Forde’s injury] was a self-inflicted thing from the condition he was in. He had a fair tour of the northside before this.”

Judge Olann Kelleher directed a probation report and put sentencing back until September to allow time for this.

Frank Buttimer, representing Mr Forde, said he brought photographs to court showing the extent of his head injury.

When Mr Malone suggested the injury was not that visible, Mr Forde said of his scars: “A blind man would see them.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content