Emergency accommodation breakfast issue is tabled at City Hall

Emergency accommodation breakfast issue is tabled at City Hall

CITY Hall is to deliver a report to councillors tonight on its policy regarding breakfast provisions for people living in emergency accommodation.

Recent media reports suggested there were complaints from homeless people regarding being refused breakfast in certain establishments.

The Echo has learned that there was an incident in the city where individuals who were registered as homeless were refused access to a breakfast area in one establishment because they attended in their pyjamas.

The matter was dealt with by the accommodation’s management and City Council housing staff had no role in the refusal. 

A motion submitted by Councillor Tim Brosnan (FF) will call for City Hall to adopt a policy that persons referred to emergency housing and accommodation be provided with a breakfast where the accommodation already provides breakfast to other persons staying at the establishment.

The City Council took over the former HSE operated Homeless Persons Unit on Drinan Street in January.

City Hall housing director Brian Geaney has already addressed the matter and told councillors only one complaint has been made since then. He has stressed that it is not city council policy to deny anybody their breakfast and decisions taken by management at privately owned hotels and B&Bs cannot be influenced by the authority.

Mr Geaney said: “I want to be clear there is no policy in this council not to give breakfast to residents of hotels and B&Bs that are in emergency accommodation. Indeed, it is the policy of the council that individuals and families in emergency accommodation do see breakfast where possible. Sometimes breakfast is not available. 

"Since the council took over the homeless unit [on Drinan St] on January 21, we have received one complaint in reference to breakfast not being included.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content