CORK authorities are “closing in” on the illegal dumpers who have been discarding large volumes of rubbish on the road in front of the Spring Lane halting site and Ellis’s Yard.
Three litter fines have been issued for rubbish dumped at the site in the last fortnight, with two individuals caught by inspectors sifting through the dumped waste, and another caught on CCTV cameras.
Local councillor Ken O’Flynn said the more people who receive fines, the better.
Mr O’Flynn said that the council were looking at temporarily closing off the road on one side of the blackspot.
“You can enter or exit onto the North Ring Road from either side of the road and what people are doing is coming in one way and leaving another.
“What we want to do is to restrict access, so we have a better timeline on the long-range cameras, that we have installed, of who is going in and out of the area and for how long.”
Mr O’Flynn said people have been encouraged to come forward and share information with the gardaí and with the council, and a number of individuals have brought details to the authorities, as a result.
Although the councillor said that he would like a higher level of detection of dumping in Ballyvolane — more litter was strewn across the road on Monday and Tuesday of last week — he said that progress was being made.
“We are getting closer to the source and people are coming forward with information. We are getting more and more information every day.”
Mr O’Flynn said the incessant illegal dumping was a “proverbial two fingers to the council”.
He said that the €80 fine was not enough for those caught in the act and that the cost of cleaning up the dumped waste should also be passed on to offenders.
“It is something that needs to be seriously looked at as soon as possible,” Mr O’Flynn added.