IT is hoped the latest dumping incident in Ballyvolane will lead to prosecution fines being issued, as City Hall ups its battle against illegal waste.
The remains of what appear to be parts of a fitted kitchen were dumped over a ditch at Brookvale on Tuesday.
Councillors Ken O’Flynn (FF) and John Maher (LAB) have both reported the incident to City Hall with cleansing officials now set to go through the rubbish to try and identify the culprit.
The Echo understands that a number of unlicensed rubbish collectors are still operating around the city despite efforts by City Hall to deal with the problem by closing down a well-known illegal dumpsite earlier this year. Ellis’s Yard was cleaned up by Cork City Council contractors in February at a cost of €53,000 and security fencing was erected and CCTV mounted. Since then several dumping incidents have been reported in the immediate area around Ellis’s Yard. It is feared the illegal waste operators have moved to areas where there is no surveillance.
Cork City Council has issued 375 litter fines so far this year, with 141 being issued in April alone. This is a significant increase on April 2018, when 75 were issued. The council has taken 23 litter offenders to court this year and has won every case. It is believed several more cases are set to be pursued through the courts.
The city council’s director of environment services Valerie O’Sullivan urged patience from councillors and said strict new litter bylaws will take time to reduce dumping instances. “We have had some success with Ellis’s Yard. That was as a result of the environment directorate working with the housing directorate,” Ms O’Sullivan said.
It is hoped the new bylaws will be instrumental in tackling an increase in dumping across the city in recent months which councillors have described as an “epidemic”.
If the householder uses a civic amenity site, they now need to keep receipts for at least a year to prove this, or face fines of up to €2,500, while fixed penalties of €75 will be issued to households that are without waste removal contracts. Sinn Féin is expected to table a motion next month asking to return the household waste collection service to the local authority from private companies.