IT’S a story that has ‘rubbled’ on for over a year and uncertainty still remains over when debris from the demolition of the city’s former tax office will be removed from a city centre site.
A mound of construction waste remains at Sullivan’s Quay and Cork City Council is yet to receive a response to a communication it sent to developers BAM in recent months.
The site has been slated by BAM as the location for a large hotel with 220 beds, with a 12-storey cylindrical office tower also planned.
The site was formerly home to the city’s main tax office but had been used for various purposes over a decade. In 2008, the Revenue Commissioners sold the block and moved to new premises in Blackpool.
The building was used by arts students from the Crawford College and as a gallery space before demolition work finally began in March 2018 with the building flattened by May.
Contractors O’Kelly Bros removed the building section by section before reducing the remainder to a large mound of rubble. Almost a year-and-a-half later, the rubble remains.
Councillor Fiona Kerins asked the council for an update on efforts to remove the debris which was recently flattened out from public view but still remains on the site.
Adrienne Rodgers, director of community, culture and placemaking, at Cork City Council said the site has been inspected by officials but the local authority is awaiting word from BAM.
“A site inspection was carried out on Wednesday 14th August 2019 by members of the Planning Enforcement and Waste Management sections of Cork City Council,” said Ms Rodgers.
“This matter is currently being reviewed by both sections. It appears that the full quantity of waste remains on site. There has been no recent response from BAM Ireland to the Council’s Correspondence.”
A response is expected to be issued by BAM within the next two weeks.