Santina Cawley murder case: accused woman appears in court again

Santina Cawley murder case: accused woman appears in court again
Karen Harrington has been remanded on bail until October 4.

THE woman accused of murdering two-year-old Santina Cawley at Boreenmanna Road in Cork two months ago was remanded on bail today until October 4.

Karen Harrington, aged 35, of 26 Elderwood Park, Boreenmanna Road, Cork, was refused bail at Cork District Court when she was first charged with murder but she has since been given bail at the High Court in Dublin.

Harrington appeared in court today accompanied by another woman and she was not required to speak during the brief hearing.

Two-year-old Santina Cawley
Two-year-old Santina Cawley

Sergeant Gearóid Davis said further directions in the case were awaited from the Director of Public Prosecutions and he applied for a four-week adjournment which Judge Olann Kelleher granted.

Harrington faces a single charge stating that on July 5 at Elderwood Park, Boreenmanna Road, she did murder Santina Cawley.

The High Court released her on bail last week on her own €5,000 bond and on various conditions.

Those conditions required that she would not commit any offence and would be of good behaviour and would reside at an address at Lakelands Crescent in Mahon, Cork. 

She must also report twice daily at Anglesea Street and sign in – morning and afternoon, keep a curfew to be home from 8 pm every night, and carry a mobile phone and be available to be contacted by gardaí.

She must notify gardaí if she wished to make any changes to her conditions.

Harrington is to have no contact in any way whatsoever, directly or indirectly, with any witness involved including family members of the deceased. 

She is to stay away from Boreenmanna Road, surrender her passport to gardaí and do no undertake to apply for a new one.

When first charged with murder the defendant’s reply was noted as: “I don’t understand why I am getting charged. I didn’t murder no one.” 

Two-year-old Santina Cawley was found with critical injuries in an apartment on the morning of July 5 and was taken by ambulance to Cork University Hospital where she died hours later.

More in this section

Sponsored Content