Bandon Road murder victim last seen alive on Tuesday 

Bandon Road murder victim last seen alive on Tuesday 

Gardaí at the scene on MacCurtain Villas off the Bandon Road in Cork City, outside the house where the body of Paul Jones was discovered on Saturday. Picture: Dan Linehan

SCENES-of-crimes officers are continuing to trawl through the home of murder victim Paul Jones for clues as to why and when he was killed.

Gardaí investigating the murder of the 55-year-old Mayfield man at his Bandon Road home are trying to find a motive for the killing, and are working to establish if he had a falling-out with anyone in the days beforehand.

They are also trying to establish when exactly he died. He was last seen alive on Tuesday.

Mr Jones was originally from Cahergal in Mayfield, but had been living at the house for the last five or six years. He had previously lived in Ballincollig.

The murder investigation was launched by gardaí this evening after they received the results of a post mortem by assistant State pathologist, Dr Linda Mulligan.

Gardaí have not released the results of the post mortem for operational reasons. However, it is understood he had suffered a number of injuries.

He was discovered in the house at around 11.30am on Saturday morning, by his son. He had gone to the house after a number of attempts to contact his father by phone failed.

He found his father lying face down and raised the alarm. There was no sign of a break-in at the house.

When the emergency services got to the scene, they found blood under the dead man after turning him over, prompting gardaí to bring in the services of the office of the State pathologist.

His body was removed to the Cork City Morgue at Cork University Hospital, where a post-mortem examination was carried out this afternoon. His body remains at the CUH. 

Mr Jones’s body can be held at the morgue for up to five days under the Coroner’s Act and no funeral arrangements have yet been made.

The house was sealed off after the discovery on Saturday morning and will remain sealed off tomorrow. The scenes of crime officers are expected to conclude their search of the single-storey rented property on Monday afternoon.

Mayfield Worker’s Party councillor Ted Tynan said he knew Mr Jones’s family, particularly his late father.

He said: “This is a tragedy for the family. It is very sad to see and is a terrible loss of life.”

Gardaí are conducting house-to-house enquiries in the Bandon Road area and are looking through CCTV footage from the locality.

Local Independent councillor and former Lord Mayor, Mick Finn, said: “Without knowing what happened, it’s obviously very shocking for a local community to hear this and see the Garda crime scene tape up in a quiet area.

"I hope the investigators and pathologists get to the bottom of what happened." 

A Garda spokesman said: “Investigating officers are anxious to speak to anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the Bandon Road / MacCurtain Villas area of Cork City between Monday 2nd September and Saturday 7th September 2019 and to anyone who may have dash cam footage to please contact the incident room at Anglesea Street on 021-4522000, the Garda Confidential Line, 1 800 666 111, or any Garda Station.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content