Renewed calls for flood-relief works

Renewed calls for flood-relief works
Flash flooding in Douglas during heavy rains on Monday

THERE have been renewed calls for flood-relief works in city suburbs after heavy rainfall caused traffic gridlock yesterday morning.

Citywide flooding resulted in severe traffic on the road network, with the North Ring Road, Dublin Hill and the N20 Commons Road particularly badly affected.

There were also reports of long delays on the Lower Glanmire Road and on the N40 South Ring Road.

Glanmire residents are “living on their nerves” as the Glashaboy Flood Relief Scheme awaits ministerial approval.

Assurances had been given that the €8.5m scheme was to start in the summer but the project documentation has yet to be signed off by Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe.

Heavy rainfall in recent days has led to fears that the Glashaboy River may burst its banks and lead to flooding in the Meadowbrook and Copper Valley Vue housing estates, the Hazelbrook Shopping Centre and other areas.

About 60 houses and a number of businesses were badly damaged in Glanmire in 2012, when the river burst its banks, following torrential rainfall.

Independent councillor Ger Keohane said locals are livid at the lack of action but he praised Cork City Council for mitigation measures they put in place to deal with the immediate threat of flooding on Monday night.

“With the amount of rain that has fallen in recent days, it will only take a small bit to have people under the threat of flooding again,” said Mr Keohane.

Flooding and traffic in Blackpool earlier this week. 
Flooding and traffic in Blackpool earlier this week. 

There have also been calls for the Blackpool Flood Relief Scheme to be speeded up after roads in the village flooded during the heavy rainfall on Monday night. Flooding occurred mainly on the road just under the N20 bypass bridge, with cars being able to drive slowly through the water.

The Flood Relief Scheme for the River Bride has been on the agenda since 2013 but has not seen any progress.

Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe confirmed in December 2018 in that he had received the plans in August 2018 and “it is anticipated that a contractor will be appointed to commence the works in mid-2019”.

Flash flooding also occurred in the suburb of Douglas on Monday night but businesses escaped major damage.


More in this section

Sponsored Content