CORK’s business community has called for a definitive timeline on the delivery of the event centre ahead of an expected positive update on progress for the project at a Cabinet meeting in the city on Wednesday.
Tánaiste Simon Coveney will attend the meeting at Blackrock Castle where it is expected clarity will be given on the process surrounding a €9m loan on €30m worth of Government funding for the long-planned project at the site of the former Beamish & Crawford brewery.
However, a source has revealed to The Echo that any announcement is unlikely to reveal a timeline for construction works beginning and a completion date for the project and will not involve a definitive decision on the additional Government funding.
Newly-appointed Cork chamber president Paula Cogan said the Government must provide a clear picture of when the people of Cork can expect the 6,000 capacity venue to be finished and ready for use.
“The message from Cork Chamber is very clear. The commitments of all involved parties must be honoured and progressed with the utmost haste, said Ms Cogan.
“We expect clarity from Cabinet in Cork this Wednesday, on the administration and funding of the Centre and this must be met with clarity on delivery,” she added.
The centre would provide a much-needed trading boost for the accommodation, retail, food and drink business sectors in the city.
Cork City Council last month revealed that it was unlikely that there would be any progress on the centre until after May’s local and European elections.
City Hall chiefs confirmed that an agreement regarding additional funding for the €80m project on South Main St has still not been finalised and construction will not begin under the current term of the current sitting council.
The Government is still awaiting legal advice from two senior counsels on whether the extra funding would compromise the terms and conditions of the tender award for the project to developers BAM.