Cork road death: prosecution expected in case of teenage girl who died on New Year's Day

Cork road death: prosecution expected in case of teenage girl who died on New Year's Day
Main Street, BallincolligPicture: Eddie O'Hare

A prosecution is to be taken in the case of a schoolgirl who passed away on New Year’s Day having been hit by a car as she crossed the road in Ballincollig the previous night.

Gardaí forwarded a file to the DPP following the death of Róisín Mae O Donovan (16) from Ivy Circle, Muskerry Estate in Ballincollig. She was fatally injured while crossing the Main Street in the town at around 7.45pm on December 31, 2018.

Cork Coroner’s Court heard the DPP has directed a prosecution be taken against an individual arising out of the death of the teenager.

Coroner Philip Comyn agreed to a garda application to adjourn the inquest of the transition year student without a fixed date pending the conclusion of the criminal proceedings.

Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster previously told the court the girl died from a brain injury.

Róisín celebrated her 16th birthday just days before her death. Her funeral mass at the Church of St Mary and St John in Ballincollig drew a large gathering.

Poignantly, Roisin had survived meningitis as a young baby. At her funeral, Fr Cian O’Sullivan said Roisin was on a journey “from a child to adult” when her life was cut short. He said her family had known what it was like to worry about losing her. “In fact the previous time when she was a small baby fighting meningitis. At the very start of her life as a family ye had to deal with the likelihood of losing Róisín," he said.

“For any parent even contemplating danger to your child is an awful experience. Worse still to think you might lose them and lose them to death. It is so hard for any of us to understand or contemplate.”

She was knocked down at a crossing near the Tesco supermarket in Ballincollig on December 31 last whilst out with friends. She was taken by ambulance to Cork University Hospital where she underwent treatment. However, she died the following day. 

More in this section

Sponsored Content