Cork man remanded on trespass charge; Investigation into murder continues

Cork man remanded on trespass charge; Investigation into murder continues
Keith O'Hara who appeared at Cork District Court via video link.

A 41-year-old man who has been in custody since September on a trespass charge arising out of the investigation into the case of a 55-year-old man found dead at his home on Bandon Road in Cork was back in court yesterday.

Keith O’Hara, of 27 Cahergal Avenue, Mayfield, Cork, is charged with trespass to commit an assault causing harm at 108 Bandon Road on September 4.

This charge arises out of the investigation into the murder of Paul Jones at his home on Bandon Rd on September 4 last.

Detective Garda Joe Young objected to bail being granted to Mr O’Hara when he first appeared in court.

The defendant appeared at Cork District Court yesterday by way of video link from prison.

Sergeant Gearóid Davis confirmed  that the file in the case had been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions on December 10 and directions were awaited.

On the sergeant’s application, the case was adjourned for a further fortnight with the accused remanded in custody.

“OK thank you,” Mr O’Hara said on the video link as the brief hearing was completed.

The accused was represented by Emma Leahy, solicitor.

The only charge against Mr O’Hara is one of trespass to commit an assault causing harm.

During the objection to bail, Det Garda Young said, “It was a sustained violent assault where (Paul Jones) received a number of stab wounds and a serious injury to his head.”

The deceased’s sister, Helen Jones, is also facing a charge in relation to the matter but her case was not in court yesterday.

More in this section

Sponsored Content