The 30-year-old man charged in connection with the largest ever seizure of heroin in Cork city indicated through his solicitor today that he would be signing a plea of guilty to the charges against him.
It was not possible for that to be finalised today at Cork District Court as directions had not come through from the Director of Public Prosecutions, Sergeant Gearóid Davis said.
Kevin Bulman, a native of Youghal and of no fixed address in Cork, appeared at Cork District Court by video link from prison.
He faces two charges in relation to the heroin seizure.
Bulman is charged with possession of heroin and possession of heroin for sale or supply on Patrick St in Cork on November 5 contrary to the Misuse of Drugs Act.
Officers from the Cork City Divisional Drugs Squad seized 2.5 kilos of heroin with a street value of €350,000 when they stopped and searched a man after he got into a taxi on Patrick Street on that date, it was previously stated.
Det Garda Paul Leahy of the Cork City Divisional Drugs Squad gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution at an earlier hearing and said Mr Bulman made no reply to the charges when they were put to him after caution.
Defence solicitor, Joseph Cuddigan, said it had already been indicated to the prosecution that the accused would sign a plea of guilty to the charges against him as soon as this was possible.
Mr Cuddigan urged that this position would be indicated to the DPP as the accused was in custody and anxious to have his case dealt with at the next sessions of Cork Circuit Criminal Court commencing on February 3.
Free legal aid was previously assigned for Bulman on evidence that he was unemployed and in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance.
Judge Olann Kelleher adjourned the case to Cork District Court on January 8 with the accused remanded in custody until then.