GARDAI are today patrolling around the home of a toddler injured in a hit and run, after the teenage driver was sentenced to four years in jail yesterday.
Nathan O'Reilly, 17, from 32 Ballinure Avenue in Mahon was sentenced yesterday for the March 25 episode by Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin, who also handed down a 20-year driving ban.
Following the sentence hearing, there was a scuffle outside of the courthouse, leading gardaí to keep a presence at the home of the injured toddler last night.
Today, a garda spokesman said that gardaí are maintaining a presence in the area, with patrols stepped up because of tensions in the locality.
The two-year-old boy had been playing outside his home when he was hit by a car driven by O'Reilly. The car failed to stop.
He was given the four year sentence and ban on foot of dangerous driving causing serious harm. He also pleaded guilty to failing to remain at the scene.
The court was told that O'Reilly had bought the car online just a day earlier for €100. He drove it without a licence, insurance or NCT.
The child's mother told the court that her son suffered very serious injuries.
She said: “He spent eight days on life support, 12 days in intensive care, and seven weeks in Temple Street and then transferred back to CUH where he spent another two weeks and he recently spent another two weeks in the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire and will have to spend time there again next year. He has permanent traumatic brain injury and he will suffer with this for the rest of his life.”