THE inaugural Cobh Air Spectacular has been postponed until August 2021, organisers have confirmed.
Organisers have said they were bowled over by the level of national and international interest following the launch and, as a result, the event has become much bigger than originally anticipated.
In a statement, they said they are pushing back the date to facilitate a number of international fleets, which will, in turn, attract many overseas visitors to the region.
Those involved say this is a huge opportunity to showcase Cork and to establish Cobh and the lower harbour as a regular venue for a world-class air show, so they want to ensure the most successful event possible.
The event has already attracted dozens of aircraft, such the AeroSuperBatics Wing walkers, The STRIKEMASTERS, Team Raven, Jet Display teams, Historical aircrafts, the coastguard and RNLI.
More announcements are expected to be made over the coming months.
The event was originally scheduled to take place on July 12, 2020, with organisers saying it could attract up to 100,000 spectators.
At the launch earlier this year, event organiser, Captain Rich MacIlwraith, a former commercial airline captain on 737s and 777s, who is now a senior instructor at the Atlantic Flight Training Academy in Cork, said the Cobh Air Spectacular has been years in planning.
“Having been involved with airshows around the world, I have always believed that Cork Harbour provides the best natural backdrop for an event of this kind," he said.
"This event will be unlike anything we have ever seen on the south coast, and marks a huge opportunity to establish Cobh and the lower harbour as a regular venue for a world-class airshow”.
The event is being actively supported and facilitated by management at Cork Airport.