A Garda file in the investigation of a man accused of stabbing another man in the throat as he sat in a car in Cork city centre last October has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Sergeant Gearóid Davis said at Cork District Court that the investigating officer had confirmed that the file had been sent to the DPP.
David Ross, aged 30, of Gurranabraher, Cork, was originally charged by Detective Garda Maurice O’Connor with assault causing harm to Trevor O’Sullivan at North Main Street, Cork, at 10.30am on October 1.
Paula McCarthy barrister reminded Judge Olann Kelleher that he had said he would strike out the charge if there was not progress in the case by yesterday.
Judge Kelleher agreed but said there had been progress as he was now being told that the garda file had been sent to the DPP.
On the application of Sgt. Davis, Judge Kelleher adjourned the case until January 16 with Ross remanded in continuing custody.
Ross appeared in court by video link from prison and will appear in the same manner in a fortnight.
At the bail hearing in October, Detective Garda O’Connor objected to bail being granted to the accused and outlined his grounds for objection.
“It is alleged that David Ross assaulted the injured party by stabbing him three times – in the throat, arm and leg – while he was sitting in a car. The injured party had to get in excess of 50 stitches to his wounds.
“Extensive CCTV footage has been harvested in the area which shows the defendant in the lead up to and the immediate aftermath of the alleged incident. Distinctive clothing worn by the accused during this alleged assault has been seized by gardaí.
“Gardaí believe David Ross is an extremely violent individual and will commit further serious offences if granted bail.
“It is believed this alleged assault arose from an ongoing dispute between him and other parties connected with the injured party.