A 41-YEAR-OLD man shot by a lone gunman in Ballyvolane had previously survived an attempt on his life in the same housing estate.
At approximately 7.40pm on Friday night, the man, who the Echo understands has been known to the Gardaí for some time, was approached by a lone gunman in the Chapelgate estate and was shot a number of times.
The gunman fled on foot.
The injured man was treated at the scene by emergency services, including the Southern Region Garda Armed Support Unit, before being taken to Cork University Hospital.
The Echo understands that an attempt was also made on the man’s life in the same housing estate in September 2018 when he was shot at.
Councillor Ken O’Flynn said the community in the quiet housing estate has been shaken by the incident and he has called for more Gardaí to be assigned to Cork city.
“It gives a terrible impression to a very quiet, respectful and decent neighbourhood," he said.
It was announced last month that Cork will be allocated 24 additional Gardaí for the Christmas period, but Mr O'Flynn said it wasn't enough.
“We’ve been thrown a couple of gardaí for Christmas time just to appease us. The city has become overrun," he said.
A statement issued by the Garda Press Office on Sunday night renewed an appeal for information.
“No arrests have been made in the investigation to date and enquires are ongoing.
“Gardaí are appealing to anyone who was in Chapelgate area between 7pm and 7.45pm to come forward, they are also appealing to anyone with camera footage (including dashcam) from the area to make it available to investigators. Anyone with information is asked to contact Mayfield Garda Station 021-4558510 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111."
The injured man remains in a stable condition.